Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum !

So I've got a network setup as follows .

The end goal is to set up a LAN with my Meraki Z1 that is bridged to the home hub either directly or via a bridge.

Basically I'm downstairs , I can access the config of both the firewall and the home hub no problem .

The home hub has no ports free so I can't use power-line adapters and Need to get a cabled lan out of it .

I have somewhere and old net gear router I could use to set up as a bridge ( potentially) unless anyone can come up with a better solution ?

Currently most stuff is connected via wireless which is fine but not practical for some stuff as mirror share is not possible over wireless for the TV.

The meraki Z1 from what I can tell does not do Wireless bridging .

Wireless signal is great so no worries there .

Whats the best solution ?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
can you not connect up directly with a cable to the wireless switch? or is it on 2 different levels

NVM.....

Just read.

this should work for you.
http://www.ebuyer.com/583348-d-link-dgs-1008p-8-port-gigabit-poe-unmanaged-desktop-switch-dgs-1008p-e

This will then power the switch and get an IP from the BT hub if you set it up as DHCP

So it would be:

1. BT hub - 3 spare to use
2. D-Link Switch - unmanaged - 6 spare to bu used - 2 taken ( 1 from BT hub & 1 meraki switch) " I would use port 8 to plug into the BT hub and switch - dont waist a POE"
3. Meraki Z1

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't wire it in or use a switch going into it .

I needs to be a device that received wireless and has ports for a wired connection .

+ Never get an unmanaged switch ... or Dlink

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
This approach isn't going to work well for you. To get any kind of consistent performance, you need to run an Ethernet cable. ESPECIALLY considering the shoddy Wi-Fi components inside of a FiOS unit.
If you MUST do this and your FiOS router is dual band, get a Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 Loco. Also get an 8 port gig switch. Connect the nanostation via Wi-Fi to your FiOS router and then connect the switch to the nanostation.

WARNING: Your FiOS unit is junk. Attaching a wireless device to it and then expecting that wireless device to connect consistently and THEN share that connection with others is a bad plan. I would not recommend this. You really NEED to run Ethernet to make this work. Don't just dismiss this and shrug and say "well I don't want to do that". Think thoroughly through what it would take to do it right vs the annoyance of having to fight a flaky connection.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaistledine View Post

I can't wire it in or use a switch going into it .

I needs to be a device that received wireless and has ports for a wired connection .

+ Never get an unmanaged switch ... or Dlink
All i was doing is trying to provide a cheap solution that would work. Yes d-link is poo at best but it was an option that also had POE to power the Meraki.
Why are you physically unable to lay wires from Say BT hub to switch then Meraki EAP? ports, floors?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry if the picture is awful but yes the separation is a floor between flats using a shared connection . This set up is just the one provided and its more awful.

I know wired is better and I would be using an HP procurve managed switch if needed .

The issue being that so far I'm stuck with wireless access using someone's basic homehub router instead of anything enterprise grade. I do not get control over this whatsoever just shared usage.

Long story short I was missold internet access in my new flat ... The Phone line port is dead and would need a new line installed which would cost a bomb but also I'm moving out so getting tied into a non transferable contract is not worth the hassle nor cost.

All of this will be obsolete once I move either in 6/ 12 months when I get a FTTC line in my new property . It's merely trying to get the best workaround for a LAN set up due the need of the network currently.

@levontraut Sorry if I came across snappy I was trying to get a reply in while in a rush . Just reread my post and I've not made it clear there is a separation between floors.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaistledine View Post

Sorry if the picture is awful but yes the separation is a floor between flats using a shared connection . This set up is just the one provided and its more awful.

I know wired is better and I would be using an HP procurve managed switch if needed .

The issue being that so far I'm stuck with wireless access using someone's basic homehub router instead of anything enterprise grade. I do not get control over this whatsoever just shared usage.

Long story short I was missold internet access in my new flat ... The Phone line port is dead and would need a new line installed which would cost a bomb but also I'm moving out so getting tied into a non transferable contract is not worth the hassle nor cost.

All of this will be obsolete once I move either in 6/ 12 months when I get a FTTC line in my new property . It's merely trying to get the best workaround for a LAN set up due the need of the network currently.

@levontraut Sorry if I came across snappy I was trying to get a reply in while in a rush . Just reread my post and I've not made it clear there is a separation between floors.
No worries dude
What is BT ( or whoever your ISP is) saying about the NTE? if it is broken they need to come out and fix it simple... not your fault its broken.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not broken exactly . I was told it was an working line ... it's far from that

The line has not just been deactivated it's been disconnected ... many years ago as well .

So it's not just the activation cost ... it's around £200 for a line I would only be using for 4/10 months to get it going .

£45 - 5 75mb FTTC line
£30 - Activation
£110 - re-connection fee.

I don't want to get tied into a 12/18month contract when I wont be there that long.

So as a compromise I was given access to the upstairs wifi which is running of a 65mb FTTC line itself . So free fiber but at a cost of it being wifi only .

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right so had some fun getting this to work...

I shared my Wireless adapter on my desktop to my ethernet adapter.

This places my ethernet adapter to 192.168.131.1-254 subnet

If I plug my meraki Z1 into that port it will connect to the internet !

I've changed the Meraki to be a layer 2 pass through but whenever I plug my laptop into it the meraki stops responding to the cloud but the laptop gets connected to the internet.

I still need to test the wifi as well

I also have to set the DNS manually to the router as it seems they have BT home protection which stops you using any other DNS than BTs....
(Works with a VPN)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts