Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a friend who had a section of his RAM set up as a usable RAM-Disk, which he was running Firefox off of. According to him, it sped it up incredibly. Does anyone have any experience of this, or any thoughts, and if I should do the same thing?

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
The only advantage of having a ram disk with only firefox on it would be Firefox opening in about .1 seconds instead of .5

I can't think of a single reason to put firefox on a ram disk, at least not the ONLY thing on it.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
If anything just configure firefox cache to use ram instead of a disk space. You dont even have to create a ramdisk to do it. Found it while looking at SSD tweaks.

Quote:

Firefox â€" Use memory cache instead of disk cache
Description: If you use Firefox, there’s a way to write cached files to RAM instead of the hard disk. This is not only faster, but will significantly reduce writes to the SSD while using the browser.
Instructions: Open Firefox -> Type about:config into the address bar -> Enter -> double-click browser.cache.disk.enable to set the value to False -> Right-Click anywhere -> New -> Integer -> Preference Name "disk.cache.memory.capacity" -> value memory size in KB. Enter 32768 for 32MB, 65536 for 64MB, 131072 for 128MB, etc. -> restart Firefox

-http://gadgetmix.com/index/windows-7-ssd-speed-tweaks-for-netbooks/

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,454 Posts
-allows for a ram disk of up to 32 MB......what? thats it?

·
Banned
744 Posts
RAM Disk can be useful for some specialized applications. But for a regular user is not worth it. Many talk of using it to reclaim the lost RAM on 32bit OS w/4GB. I tried it does not work, it takes from the seen memory. I tested trust me. As said other than some very specialized computing RAM disk is useless. On a personal computer I don't think I would trade RAM for RAM Disk. Another example of people trying to override and out do what the OS is designed to do and usually not as well. It is like PAE to use more than 4GB on 32bit OS. They just don't work on any standard applications, they in the long run ****** overall performance. And also disabling pagefile does not improve performance on any of the current Windows OS.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reista
View Post

You know, theres always google to answer your questions. 5-second result = http://www.picobay.com/projects/2006...isk-drive.html

I also wanted to get peoples opinions on if I should, not just a page on how to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UndertheGun
View Post

RAM Disk can be useful for some specialized applications. But for a regular user is not worth it. Many talk of using it to reclaim the lost RAM on 32bit OS w/4GB. I tried it does not work, it takes from the seen memory. I tested trust me. As said other than some very specialized computing RAM disk is useless. On a personal computer I don't think I would trade RAM for RAM Disk. Another example of people trying to override and out do what the OS is designed to do and usually not as well. It is like PAE to use more than 4GB on 32bit OS. They just don't work on any standard applications, they in the long run ****** overall performance. And also disabling pagefile does not improve performance on any of the current Windows OS.

Any programs I use the most, such as Opera and MSN, wouldn't really benefit from any speed changes anyway, would they? If anything, the only thing that would speed them up is a better internet connection. It was just a cool gadget, if anything, to look into.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Those apps should be in RAM anyway? If they are not completely in RAM because of space limitations reducing RAM size and forcing on RAM disk if it did even help those would cause havoc with others. It just does not work in most instances. Just like turbo memory does not also.

Nothing wrong with playing with it. I did for about 10 minutes. Give it a go. No harm in trying and some things are fun to just do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts