Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put together a new comp to be used as a server for cs source and halo. I have never operated a server before and I would like to know what I should use to build this kind of dedicated machine and keep costs within reason.

I have a cable connection that is very fast but I can imagine I will need some more bandwidth.

How much bw will I need for a 20 person cs server?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Your server won't need to be outrageous at all. The main thing is to have lots of RAM and a Speedy CPU. You can skimp on the video card and you could get away with an 80GB 7200RPM HDD. A 20 person server is pretty large and would require quite a bit of bandwidth. You will need around 768MB/s upstream. With a standard Cable connection (256MB/s Upstream) you would only be able to host about 8 players.

Your server could be pretty modest, use a minimum PIII-1GHZ and 1GB of RAM. Nothing spectacular. You wouldn't need a Server OS, Windows XP Pro would do just fine for this scenario.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

have XP home. does this affect the server-ability of me? because i'm thinking of hosting a nfsu2 server for here

No, there are very few differences between XP Home and Pro. Most notably is SMP support, Encryption and other things that most people don't need at all (remote desktop, ASR, IIS). As far as server support, most games come with the software that you need to set-up the server, just install it and configure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,844 Posts
oh ok... sounds good, i want to get a gig soon so i can host some files adn such, but i'd also like to host a game once in a while, so that's my main reason for upgrading.... i want to get some fast DDR, but my current budget doesen't allow for it. i actually would like to get a kit of twin 512's so that i get better performance, but that's a ways off...what would be the minimum speed for ram to host stuff like i outlined?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

oh ok... sounds good, i want to get a gig soon so i can host some files adn such, but i'd also like to host a game once in a while, so that's my main reason for upgrading.... i want to get some fast DDR, but my current budget doesen't allow for it. i actually would like to get a kit of twin 512's so that i get better performance, but that's a ways off...what would be the minimum speed for ram to host stuff like i outlined?

PC-133 would be fine, just as long as you have enough. Like I said, you don't need a massively powerful machine, just a decent CPU and RAM. At least a 1.5GHZ PIII and 1.5GB of PC133 for minimum specs. Obviously you could decrease the amount of RAM with better speed RAM. For example a P4 2.4Ghz with 1GB of PC3200 would be suffucient.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,844 Posts
i did talk to RAIN, adn he told me my current rig wouldn't work. the proposed rig has 512 mb of PC2700, operating at 157mhz... along with a 2.8 overclocked to 3.3.. with an internet connection that's > a T1 connection. will this work, or do i needa upgrade to a gig?
Quote:


Originally Posted by shermstix

PC-133 would be fine, just as long as you have enough. Like I said, you don't need a massively powerful machine, just a decent CPU and RAM. At least a 1.5GHZ PIII and 1.5GB of PC133 for minimum specs. Obviously you could decrease the amount of RAM with better speed RAM. For example a P4 2.4Ghz with 1GB of PC3200 would be suffucient.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

i did talk to RAIN, adn he told me my current rig wouldn't work. the proposed rig has 512 mb of PC2700, operating at 157mhz... along with a 2.8 overclocked to 3.3.. with an internet connection that's > a T1 connection. will this work, or do i needa upgrade to a gig?

Depends on how many people you want to host. If you are looking for a small host of like 8-10 players, then you would be fine. If you are looking to host 10-30, then a Gig+ will be better. Since you have a T1 connection, you will have plenty of bandwidth to go around.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,844 Posts
thank you very much sherm

yeah, 8-10 is all i need/want.... sounds good, i hope i can host some NFSU2 races soon, as well as C&C generals... soon, i hope.
Quote:


Originally Posted by shermstix

Depends on how many people you want to host. If you are looking for a small host of like 8-10 players, then you would be fine. If you are looking to host 10-30, then a Gig+ will be better. Since you have a T1 connection, you will have plenty of bandwidth to go around.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

thank you very much sherm
yeah, 8-10 is all i need/want.... sounds good, i hope i can host some NFSU2 races soon, as well as C&C generals... soon, i hope.

No Problem, check the thumbnail for a quick reference. You can assume that some of the more popular games are very similiar to the ones listed. Good luck friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is serious upload speed! I wonder if I will be better off just renting one to start off with. It it would only cost say.. $20 bucks a month. I have never done this before and I have no idea of what this stuff costs or where to go for the best service.

I am going to be building a p4 machine with a 3.2e and that is why I was just thinking about using that to run the server on instead of paying a monthly fee but if I need that much bandwidth for a 20 person server then I might be better off just renting one.

Let me know if I am making sense and if I am where should I go to rent one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Some of the places our clan has been looking
http://www.clan-solutions.com/
Sorry, not my part of clan support.... just thought you might want to check it out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Duke

Some of the places our clan has been looking
http://www.clan-solutions.com/
Sorry, not my part of clan support.... just thought you might want to check it out



What plan would be good for a 20 person cs source server?

I was checking some places and they want $60 a month to run a 20 man server! What a joke. I know a clan with members could pay a few bucks each month but I want to pay for and run the game myself. I would pay $20 bucks a month or less. $60 is ridiculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
How can I mod a server from a another PC coz I have my sever elsewhere as my pc, so how can I control the server from my PC?

thanks
Smaug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
is your server hosted by a company? If it is they may have locked down connecting to it via remote desktop etc, but you could use ftp, telnet & ssh to connect to it. Post more details about what kind of server it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Woodentop

is your server hosted by a company? If it is they may have locked down connecting to it via remote desktop etc, but you could use ftp, telnet & ssh to connect to it. Post more details about what kind of server it is.

A friend of mine has a 500 GB server and he made a Counter strike clan server for me for my clan. How can I change maps, ban players, etc from my PC? is it possible and what do I need?

Thanks Smaug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Smaug

A friend of mine has a 500 GB server and he made a Counter strike clan server for me for my clan. How can I change maps, ban players, etc from my PC? is it possible and what do I need?

Thanks Smaug



You will need to FTP into the server. Ask him for your account name and password. Then download SmartFTP www.smartftp.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix
PC-133 would be fine, just as long as you have enough. Like I said, you don't need a massively powerful machine, just a decent CPU and RAM. At least a 1.5GHZ PIII and 1.5GB of PC133 for minimum specs. Obviously you could decrease the amount of RAM with better speed RAM. For example a P4 2.4Ghz with 1GB of PC3200 would be suffucient.
hey guys ,I ran a 15 man BF/DC server on a CELEY400 with 512PC100 and it ran smooth as silk for everyone on it until we exceeded the 15-16 man mark!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top