Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
447 Posts
BURN!

Sorry, I'm just bored to death, and want to troubleshoot some network stuff! I'm going to give my opinion here... There is some good info in this thread, and any one of the ideas may be the cause. I am a systems/network admin, and I always find that it's good to get back to the basics when dealing with this stuff. There are 3 really good tools that will confirm network connectivity between machines: PING, IPCONFIG, and TRACERT.

The first thing you need to do is confirm that each machine is on the same network. If they are all getting IP addresses via DHCP from a router, then they probably are, but it's always good to check. Go to start->run->cmd and hit enter. This will bring up the command prompt. Type "ipconfig /all" and het enter. Write down all the following info from each machine:

IP Address
Subnet mask
default gateway
DNS server(s)

Most routers give out 192.168.0.X addresses (or 192.168.1.X). Each machine should have a different X values, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and a default gateway and dns server of 192.168.0.1 (the router IP).

Once you have verified that each machine is on the same network, try to ping each machine FROM each machine. At the command prompt, type "ping 192.168.0.X" and hit enter. (replace the X with the appropriate number). The machines should all reply. If you find one that doesn't, you may have found the issue.

If a machine doesn't respond to ping, there's not a lot of reasons why. Usually, there is either a physical problem with a cable, the NIC, or there is something blocking the ping, like a software firewall.

If everything responds to ping OK, then we can try browsing to IP addresses. Let me know how this goes, and we'll go to the next step if needed.

· Registered
447 Posts
Do you have a shared folder on the computer you are trying to double click?

How are you logged on? Do both laptops have the same local user and password set up? You will get that prompt if the remote PC does not recognize your local logon information. The "guest" thing is kind of throwing me off though.

Does it do the same thing when you go to start->run and type: \\\
ame of wireless pc?

· Registered
447 Posts
I'm an unfamiliar with MCE users and passwords. I know that you can set up XP from scratch where it doesn't require a password, but this won't work too well for sharing folders on a network. In XP, you can view all the local users and set passwords in control panel->user accounts.

If the PC you are physically sitting at (is that the MCE PC?) is logging on as guest, that would explain the weird authentication screen.

· Registered
447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn

When I go to add the MCE user into the security tab, it only allows me to search my rig, not anyone else's on the network.

Sounds like you are making some progress! I'm a little confused about what you said above. What security tab are you talking about exactly? Be really specific. It's hard for me to visualize someone else's setup.

· Registered
447 Posts
You actually have to add the user to control panel->user accounts first. Since you don't have a domain controller running at home, there is no centralized database of users. Each PC needs the same users manually added, with the same passwords. Once you add the MCE user to your PC, then you can add the MCE user to the security tab. It's a little confusing, but the two things are very separate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.