Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
600 Posts
Hey, I didn't read the file that was posted, so I don't know if this is a repeat of that.
Anyway, do you have .NET set up? (I assume you do since you have an ATI card.) And if so, do you have administrator passwords on all of the computers, or do you not bother? If not, set up the administrator password on all of the computers involved. Then, when you go to map a network drive, right click on the computer name you want to access and click Explore. It should prompt you for a username and password. Just connect as Administrator and use the pass you set up. If security isn't an issue in the house, check the box that says Remember Password." then you should be able to map whatever drive is shared and not have to bother with the passwords again.

· Registered
600 Posts
The admin on each computer.
Go to the control panel and double click users. Find the administrator account and assign it a password. I'm pretty sure in XP Home you just click on it once and a menu appears to the side of it. Assign it a password. Then go to another computer, and go through the Map Netowrk Drive option like I mentioned. When prompted, use administrator as the username and whatever password you set up. It should open up a windows explorer window that will show the drives that are shared.

· Registered
600 Posts
Oh. Did you run the network setup wizard on all of the computers? Go to My Network places and on the left click the set up a small home or office network, and make sure you're all on the same workgroup. Make sure you do this on all of the computers. I'm not familiar with the Media Center addition, so I would see if you can set it up like that on the MCE one, and if it doen'st work, then run the Windows XP cd on the media center computer and use the network setup option from the cd.

· Registered
600 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn

Ran it on my PC, ran fine. Ran it on another one, using Home, got "cannot complete the network setup." I use "This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or thru another computer on my network" for all of the PCs I'm setting it up on.

That's the right setup. Did it give an error telling you why, or is that all it said?
Looking abck over the thread... is there a software firewall running when you try the network setup?

· Registered
600 Posts
Quote:

Not too much of an error, although it is on wireless, so I had to click on the ignore hardware box in the beginning because I have an ethernet port onboard...Could that be the root of the problem?

Well, that's easy enough to check. Go to my network places, right click on the ethernet connection and disable it. Then you'll need to do it through the wireless. Also, make sure that the wireless is connected to the router with no problems. If it's not connected and setup already, you may want to set everything up with no encryption. Just leave the network wide open for anyone to connect with a wireless card. Once we have everything setup and working, then we can add encryption and security.

· Registered
600 Posts
Quote:

I'm terribly sorry about not getting on top of this. Tomorrow I am specifically setting aside time to work this out, I should be home around 3 PM, and be ready to go by 330 EST. Does that sound good? I will try all the above things and report back. Again, I'm terribly sorry for the delay, I haven't had any time recently for anything, never mind overclocking and this network.

HOW DARE YOU NOT FIX A PROBLEM ON YOUR NETWORK!!!
Lol, take your time. But definitely report back with results. It's killing me to find out what this is. Yes I'm a dork...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.