Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've tried in the past but cannot get file and printer sharing to work, never mind not being able to see others on the network. The network name is BURN, and all PCs are configured with File and Printer sharing. However, I get an error every time I try to see who else is on the network, saying that I don't have permission to access the network resources. What's up with this, and can I fix it?

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Networking 3 computers, 2 wireless and 1 wired (mine). I'm using the Linksys Wireless-B router, I've shared My Documents on my PC and some on the others, I have not tried to ping the other computers, I will give that a shot tomorrow. I haven't disabled any software firewalls, but I will tomorrow and see what happens.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I have admin passwords set up...Is this a user with admin privelages, or is it the main admin? How do I go about setting the password up on XP Home and Media Center?

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, sounds good, thanks! I'll do this once I get home today.

Okay, I did that, but I can see all the PC's on one PC, but not on my PC. I also am not able to map any network drives at all.

I might also add, that My PC is running XP Pro, another's running XP Home, and yet another is running Media Center.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ran it on my PC, ran fine. Ran it on another one, using Home, got "cannot complete the network setup." I use "This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or thru another computer on my network" for all of the PCs I'm setting it up on.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not too much of an error, although it is on wireless, so I had to click on the ignore hardware box in the beginning because I have an ethernet port onboard...Could that be the root of the problem?

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What really stinks is when you have about an hour's time window to do this stuff, and I had many other things to do other than this. Now, armed with this information, I will tomorrow try this again! Thanks so far guys!

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm terribly sorry about not getting on top of this. Tomorrow I am specifically setting aside time to work this out, I should be home around 3 PM, and be ready to go by 330 EST. Does that sound good? I will try all the above things and report back. Again, I'm terribly sorry for the delay, I haven't had any time recently for anything, never mind overclocking and this network.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay...I disabled the nVidia Firewall, and I can double-click on one of the two wireless computers, it shows up with a login screen, and it says this:

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hmm..What do you mean by local user and password? The one I can access is running MCE without a password.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm sitting on my Pro rig, that's the only one I use. Other members in my family use the MCE and Home rigs.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update! I can access the MCE rig's shared My Documents Folder. However, the MCE rig cannot access my My Documents..Permission was denied. When I go to add the MCE user into the security tab, it only allows me to search my rig, not anyone else's on the network.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got it up and running! I ran the Network Setup wizard and it worked easy. I tried to share a download folder, but it gave me the folder, but I had to individually set permission for each file. Is there an automated way I can do this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.