Overclock.net banner

Setting up a Wireless/Wired network

1365 Views 32 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Burn
Okay, I've tried in the past but cannot get file and printer sharing to work, never mind not being able to see others on the network. The network name is BURN, and all PCs are configured with File and Printer sharing. However, I get an error every time I try to see who else is on the network, saying that I don't have permission to access the network resources. What's up with this, and can I fix it?
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay...I disabled the nVidia Firewall, and I can double-click on one of the two wireless computers, it shows up with a login screen, and it says this:

· Registered
447 Posts
Do you have a shared folder on the computer you are trying to double click?

How are you logged on? Do both laptops have the same local user and password set up? You will get that prompt if the remote PC does not recognize your local logon information. The "guest" thing is kind of throwing me off though.

Does it do the same thing when you go to start->run and type: \\\
ame of wireless pc?

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hmm..What do you mean by local user and password? The one I can access is running MCE without a password.

· Registered
447 Posts
I'm an unfamiliar with MCE users and passwords. I know that you can set up XP from scratch where it doesn't require a password, but this won't work too well for sharing folders on a network. In XP, you can view all the local users and set passwords in control panel->user accounts.

If the PC you are physically sitting at (is that the MCE PC?) is logging on as guest, that would explain the weird authentication screen.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm sitting on my Pro rig, that's the only one I use. Other members in my family use the MCE and Home rigs.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update! I can access the MCE rig's shared My Documents Folder. However, the MCE rig cannot access my My Documents..Permission was denied. When I go to add the MCE user into the security tab, it only allows me to search my rig, not anyone else's on the network.

· Registered
447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn

When I go to add the MCE user into the security tab, it only allows me to search my rig, not anyone else's on the network.

Sounds like you are making some progress! I'm a little confused about what you said above. What security tab are you talking about exactly? Be really specific. It's hard for me to visualize someone else's setup.

· Registered
447 Posts
You actually have to add the user to control panel->user accounts first. Since you don't have a domain controller running at home, there is no centralized database of users. Each PC needs the same users manually added, with the same passwords. Once you add the MCE user to your PC, then you can add the MCE user to the security tab. It's a little confusing, but the two things are very separate.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got it up and running! I ran the Network Setup wizard and it worked easy. I tried to share a download folder, but it gave me the folder, but I had to individually set permission for each file. Is there an automated way I can do this?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.