Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, basically i've got a USB modem snd will have to run Xbox live through my PC. Know i need to set up a LAN or something but dont have a clue how to, had live before but since swapping stuff around have lost the connection under network connections and as i didnt set it up i'm having a few probs.

The cable side of things is sorted, just need to set up a connection between xbox and pc.

Can you guys give me a step by step guide on what to do, your help is much appreciated.

Jag

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggedlion

Hey, basically i've got a USB modem snd will have to run Xbox live through my PC. Know i need to set up a LAN or something but dont have a clue how to, had live before but since swapping stuff around have lost the connection under network connections and as i didnt set it up i'm having a few probs.

The cable side of things is sorted, just need to set up a connection between xbox and pc.

Can you guys give me a step by step guide on what to do, your help is much appreciated.

Jag

How have you got it connected???

If its connected to a router you should just be able to follow the X-Box live manual and set it up within a few mins.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No router, my pc to the phone line (with a microfileter) and a crossover ethernet cable from my xbox to pc.

Had a look on xbox.com and it says that i need to set up internet connection sharing (ICS) just not how to, lol probs only me that needs it. When my friend did it (cant get hold of him) it only took a couple of mins.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

No router, my pc to the phone line (with a microfileter) and a crossover ethernet cable from my xbox to pc.

Ok your need to enable Internet Connection Sharing for your modem.

Once you have done that you should be able to go step by step through XBox live setup as normal.
I cant help you with the XBox live setup since I dont use it on my XBox

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend set up a network connection between the two, just dont know how to.

And how do i do that anyway, (ICS)

cant i just set up a lan connection, thats what appeared in the system tray and in network connections before... how do i do this????

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

My friend set up a network connection between the two, just dont know how to.

And how do i do that anyway, (ICS)

cant i just set up a lan connection, thats what appeared in the system tray and in network connections before... how do i do this????

You cant have a network if your using a USB modem... A router would enable a network to be made but not a modem.

The phone line connects to the modem which connects to your PC via USB you connect the Xbox to the modem using the RJ?? cable.

ICS is the only way for this type of setup.

To setup ICS for your USB modem your best off reading the manual.
You will need your PC on when you want to use XBox Live.

EDIT:
  1. Log on to your PC as Administrator or Owner.
  2. In Windows XP, ICS is automatically loaded during installation.
  3. On the taskbar, click Start, right-click My Network Places, and select Properties.
  4. Right-click Local Area Connection.
  5. On the shortcut menu, click Properties and click the Advanced tab.
  6. Below Internet Connection Sharing, click the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
  7. Click OK.

The connection to the Internet is shared to your Xbox console.
Also check this website for more help... XBox.com

• Rep+
Reactions: Jaggedlion

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but how do i create a local area connection???

"Right-click Local Area Connection."

Only my speedtouch connection is present

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, but how do i create a local area connection???

"Right-click Local Area Connection."

Only my speedtouch connection is present

Read through your Modem manual because it may be different... I am helping to the best I can but since I have never and will never connect an box to my PC I can only help a little.

A local area connection will only be visable if another device is found connected... I dont know if this works for Xbox.

I think another option is to go to a dedicated Xbox forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:

Jag

Aren't USB modems very slow??? Xbox wont let your Xbox on Live if the connection is too slow. My friend had Earthlink DSL that was really sluggish and it refused it, so If a USB modem is slow, you might be SOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts