Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the newer power supplies coming out in the market and many older units still going strong, I wanted to get some advise on some power supplies I have been looking at.

I know there is still a small market on SFF units which produce a decent amount of power but I have been looking at quite a few so far.

Here is a list of requirements needed & parts I have in my current build:
  1. Located in US.
  2. As far as Budget goes, honestly I have none but if I had to put a price, no more than $200.
  3. Looking for something along the lines of 500w < +
  4. Cables I prefer Fully Modular.
  5. Require 2 PCIe cables ( 8-pin ).
  6. Flat or normal cables, either/or.
  7. Build Specs
    • i5-4670K
    • MSI GeForce GTX980 - 4GD5T OC ( Armor 2X Black & White )
    • Two 2.5 drives ( one is a Hybrid drive )
    • 6 fans
    • Gigabyte H97N-WiFi Mini-ITX
    • Corsair Hydro Series H50
    • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb total
    • Case is a Thermaltake Core V1
These are the two in question so far:
Silverstone SX600-G
Corsair SF600 Gold

I need the PSU to be less that 180mm in depth which also led me to look at the Strider Series from Silverstone as well. I hope I am not asking a lot so please let me know what you all recommend or are currently using with good/great results thus far.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWr8h View Post

With all the newer power supplies coming out in the market and many older units still going strong, I wanted to get some advise on some power supplies I have been looking at.

I know there is still a small market on SFF units which produce a decent amount of power but I have been looking at quite a few so far.

Here is a list of requirements needed & parts I have in my current build:
  1. Located in US.
  2. As far as Budget goes, honestly I have none but if I had to put a price, no more than $200.
  3. Looking for something along the lines of 500w < +
  4. Cables I prefer Fully Modular.
  5. Require 2 PCIe cables ( 8-pin ).
  6. Flat or normal cables, either/or.
  7. Build Specs
    • i5-4670K
    • MSI GeForce GTX980 - 4GD5T OC ( Armor 2X Black & White )
    • Two 2.5 drives ( one is a Hybrid drive )
    • 6 fans
    • Gigabyte H97N-WiFi Mini-ITX
    • Corsair Hydro Series H50
    • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb total
    • Case is a Thermaltake Core V1
These are the two in question so far:
Silverstone SX600-G
Corsair SF600 Gold

I need the PSU to be less that 180mm in depth which also led me to look at the Strider Series from Silverstone as well. I hope I am not asking a lot so please let me know what you all recommend or are currently using with good/great results thus far.

Corsair would be my suggestion. Based on reviews the Corsair did better, it's 80+ Gold certified. But I just realised that you are doing a V1 Mini build. They take ATX power supply's? So with that being said mine is a full ATX PSU. And I fit a ****load of stuff in that little box. Why go with SFX type PSU's? Preference? Concern for space?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the main reasons is space and cable management as I have a plan for the extra chamber below the GPU. I added a 40mm fan at the rear for a cooling mod I have in mind. I currently have a TPG-600M and although it works good, I had bought it used and fear it may be seeing it's maker soon LOL. I could certainly make due with a 140 mm - 160mm in depth power supply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could you consider part modular as the mobo connection are always needed and you could save some cash.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
The older Semi modular Cooler Master V is a good option.
Just dont get the newer fully modular version.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
Quote:

Thank you, I will look into that one.
thumb.gif
Its 140mm long by the way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

One of the main reasons is space and cable management as I have a plan for the extra chamber below the GPU. I added a 40mm fan at the rear for a cooling mod I have in mind. I currently have a TPG-600M and although it works good, I had bought it used and fear it may be seeing it's maker soon LOL. I could certainly make due with a 140 mm - 160mm in depth power supply.
Ah, got it... so what shilka said to accommodate your needs in the build.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Its 140mm long by the way.
+1 TY.

@shilka I am curious....., would you choose the Cooler Master V over the Corsair SF unit? Was the price the factor in the recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killrMODZ View Post

Ah, got it... so what shilka said to accommodate your needs in the build.
The Cooler Master would more than do for sure. Everywhere I went and entered my specs for a PSU recommendation they all gave me ranges between 380 - 400 watts give or take and would recommend a 500-550 watt PSU.

Thank you all so far for the recommendations. I have not jumped on purchasing a unit yet but I will very soon as I want to finish this build once and for all. I have a VERY much older style mini case that I want to customize completely ( which I have already begun the process ) so I am thinking of purchasing two PSU's. At the most, longevity is one thing I want out of the PSU's so don't be afraid to suggest higher quality units. In the meantime I am reading up on reviews from here and other sites on the suggested PSU's.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,869 Posts
The Corsair is a little bit better but i think the Cooler Master might be cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts