Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the growing poplularity of MATX boards out there, I was hoping to find a good quality 650W Micro ATX power supply out there. NO. Not much of anything really. the best I found was a quality Silverstne unit. (Still china made) about 450W. I saw a few "500+" rated ones that i wouldn't trust more than a quality 350w one.

Anyone know of a Custom maker? I REALLY only need about 550w. But would like the security of a 650.

I really dont have much hope of a reply.. lol.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Are any power supply units not made in China or Taiwan these days? It's not like made in China is always a bad thing... Even though companies SeaSonic, Delta, CWT, Enermax, etc., usually have their headquarters in Taiwan so they don't have to deal with the commies, their production lines are all in the PRC and there's nothing wrong with their products, but good luck in your quest for a non-China-made PSU

On the topic of that Silverstone, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a pretty good one. But you're gonna have a hard time finding a higher wattage than that in that size.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
The Silverstone ST45SF is the only one I can think of.

It's 450W, but with 450W you can run plenty of things.
Built by Fortron, and with APFC.
It's pretty good considering that the PSU this size even has PFC.

Has a few crossloading issues, but you're not likely to run into them during normal usage.

What hardware do you plan to hook it up to anyway?
I'd wager if it's the stuff in your sig rig, you'll be doing just fine.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GReYBuSH
View Post

With the growing poplularity of MATX boards out there, I was hoping to find a good quality 650W Micro ATX power supply out there. NO. Not much of anything really. the best I found was a quality Silverstne unit. (Still china made) about 450W. I saw a few "500+" rated ones that i wouldn't trust more than a quality 350w one.

Anyone know of a Custom maker? I REALLY only need about 550w. But would like the security of a 650.

Note that a mATX motbherboards have nothing to do with PSU form factor. The PSU size is dependent only on the case.

All PSUs are made in China, Taiwan, or rarely Japan.

If you are looking for a TFX, SFX, or SFF in th 650w range, you are asking for a lot. Higher-end quality PSU have quite a few components...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GReYBuSH
View Post

What case do you plan on using? If it's one of the really small cases, you're best bet would be that Silverstone.

If you are getting a mATX mini-tower such as the Cooler Master Elite 341, your options open up drastically. Also if you get that case I recommend NOT getting modular.

Modular for SFF is a bit overrated unless you got the really really small form factor cases. Other than that, it just gets in the way. My SeaSonic M12II is such a pain to hook up in an Elite 341 because when you hook up the cables to the power supply, its a super tight fit due to the optical drive being RIGHT THERE in the way.

At least in a non-modular set-up you can zip-tie the cables together and are already bunched up when they head inside the power supply. Just tuck them to the side. Or even hide them in a bay.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvjavs
View Post

What case do you plan on using? If it's one of the really small cases, you're best bet would be that Silverstone.

If you are getting a mATX mini-tower such as the Cooler Master Elite 341, your options open up drastically. Also if you get that case I recommend NOT getting modular.

Modular for SFF is a bit overrated unless you got the really really small form factor cases. Other than that, it just gets in the way. My SeaSonic M12II is such a pain to hook up in an Elite 341 because when you hook up the cables to the power supply, its a super tight fit due to the optical drive being RIGHT THERE in the way.

At least in a non-modular set-up you can zip-tie the cables together and are already bunched up when they head inside the power supply. Just tuck them to the side. Or even hide them in a bay.

This.

The cases that hold mATX boards don't usually take SFF PSU's.

They take normal ATX sized PSU. Just watch the length of the PSU.
I have an Elite 341, and I'm using the super-long PC P&C 610.

I have it even worse than you do.

But anyway, OP. This is what I mean about the length of the PSU.
You can't expect a 1000W PSU to fit in an mATX chassis like the CM341. It's just too long, and it will 'reject' your DVD drives.
Get something like an S12 II. Those are short enough to fit nicely, and the fact that the cables are all sleeved into little segments make sure that there isn't a mess of multicoloured spaghetti in your chassis.
Tuck the wires into the second drive bay.

Afterall, all you really need is one DVD drive, unless you're doing heavy-duty disc copying.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Note that a mATX motbherboards have nothing to do with PSU form factor. The PSU size is dependent only on the case.

There actually is an mATX PSU form factor. It isn't universally used in mATX cases though.

Quote:

All PSUs are made in China, Taiwan, or rarely Japan.

Also a few in India I believe. But China and Taiwan are the source for 99%.

Quote:

If you are looking for a TFX, SFX, or SFF in th 650w range, you are asking for a lot. Higher-end quality PSU have quite a few components...

Yeah, even SeaSonic's 1U server units don't go that high in wattage. Not enough room for the required heatsinks and large capacitors, etc. Their retail units are mostly around 300W in that range.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

There actually is an mATX PSU form factor.

I've always thought there were official form factors like SFX or TFX. Besides some manufacturers calling their PSUs "mATX" or "PS2/PS3" I haven't seen reference of that. Got a link besides to a product?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zap
View Post

I've always thought there were official form factors like SFX or TFX. Besides some manufacturers calling their PSUs "mATX" or "PS2/PS3" I haven't seen reference of that. Got a link besides to a product?

No, except a JG thread:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7072

Elledan and Tator Tot are usually right about these things.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
There actually is an mATX PSU form factor. It isn't universally used in mATX cases though.
The mATX PSU form factor and mATX motherboard form factor are two independent things though. That was my point. A mATX mobo does not force you to use a particular PSU form factor as long as it get provided ATX specified power. The only thing that forces you to get a non-standard size ATX PSU is the case.

Quote:

Also a few in India I believe. But China and Taiwan are the source for 99%.
Does Silverstone still use the robots in Japan to assemble their PSUs?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Silverstone doesn't make their own PSUs...

Delta is the OEM with the robotic assembly line, they're based in Taiwan.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Silverstone doesn't make their own PSUs...

Delta is the OEM with the robotic assembly line, they're based in Taiwan.
Didn't know Silverstone used Delta as their OEM.

Ok, I thought they were based in Japan for some reason.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Silverstone doesn't use Delta, they use a lot of Enhance I believe.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
That Lian-Li PC-Q08 doesn't require an SFF PSU.
It will fit regular ATX PSU.
Just watch your cables and PSU length

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zap View Post
mATX Design guildelines (based on physical size of the unit) are outlined in the ATX Specification for the lastest version (v2.31 IIRC)

CFX, SFX, mATX, ATX, LFX, & TFX are all at least have design suggestions if not guidelines.

Right now only 4 companies I know of for sure make mATX form factor PSU's (for the retail market)
FSP 300w, Ultra x4 400w, Diablotek, & Athena.

Though the quality of the later 3 is in deep question.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts