Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
If you've been watching Doctor Who lately, then you're already aware of the crack in the universe that's been following the Time Lord and his companion all season. And based on the image of the day spotted over at The Daily Galaxy, that crack ... may be real.

The snake-like object located around 11,000 light-years away in the constellation Sagittarius was snapped by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, and as described, it sounds as scary as anything the Doctor has ever faced: " A thick, sooty cloud large enough to swallow dozens of solar systems and may be harboring beastly stars in the process of forming."

http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/nasa-di...crack-in-t.php
Pretty cool and scary.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
11K light years away, why the hell do we even worry about it. Im' sorry, but I only care about what is going on right now, and if it doesn't directly affect me, whatever it may be, i could give a rats ass

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I need to get caught up on Doctor Who...I didn't even know about the new series till it was in season 3. They are all Instant watches on Netflicks...so far I am five episodes into season one. Kind of cool that it is the same shape, but this a big cloud and not some sort of crack in time and space.

The old Doctor Who was pretty much my favorite show as a kid. One of the very shows I actually would watch (A-Team, Dukes of Hazard, and McGuyvier was about it). heck, my childhood dog was named K-9.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,116 Posts
It would be interesting if it would swallow up some stars... nothing we need to worry about... just sit and watch.

But pretty crazy to imagine clouds of dust that are that big.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It does look a little scary, but is it something we need to worry about now or even in the future?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
its captain picard problem now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPainter
View Post

It does look a little scary, but is it something we need to worry about now or even in the future?

11,000 light years away, so what they see happened 11000ish years ago.

I wouldnt worry about it

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
What better time to start worrying than now?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I think the problem is that it is in OUR galaxy, and if it has the potential to swallow solar systems, then it is possibly an issue.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Who is "Doctor"? I think this is just some "I told you so" scam to get money.

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPER PISSED View Post
Stupid
I agree, seeing stars form (with the potential to literally watch it under time elapsed video if they want) real time is definitely stupid if you ask me.

Also the fact that "science fiction", with an unpredicted fictitious crack that is eerily similar in visual appearance to this object, it's timing and coincidence are definitely "stupid".

If that cloud has a velocity of 1500 light years/earth year, you wouldn't be worried? From the article, they actually found this thing via non-visual data due to the extreme energy it's emitting. Which, to you I guess "stupidly", is actually due to these multiple massive stars forming. So dense, it blocks out all light, so there may be hidden sources of energy as well - they hint at stars themselves..so stupid...

But they just don't know yet, how stupid of them. For all they know, there could be an external source that emitted the thing, and they don't know what will happen when those stars do in fact form from this thing...what if they collide with even more massive stars until they see a black hole form..wicked stupid that would be, I'd guess Yoda would say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
Who is "Doctor"? I think this is just some "I told you so" scam to get money.
Please tell me you're kidding, and that you really know who Doctor Who is

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Well it happened 11,000 years ago, so we'll see what happens I guess.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts