Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
After debuting the ability to sell downloadable content earlier this week, Valve's online storefront Steam is now selling a $4.99 add-on pack for the PC release of Far Cry 2.

Only compatible with the Steam version of the Ubisoft Montreal game, the "Fortunes Pack" adds three new weapons--silenced shotgun, sawed-off shotgun, crossbow--two new vehicles, and five new multiplayer maps to the open-world shooter.

The pack initially hit PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 last winter for $10. While it carried the same weapon and vehicle add-ons, the consoles only got four multiplayer maps.
Source

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
wait a minute

didn't this come out on PC a while back?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think you do need the steam version of it.
I think this is the first game ive seen that has a silenced shotgun. I dont think this pack is worth $5. If this was valve this would be a free update.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
wait a minute

didn't this come out on PC a while back?

The game did, the dlc didn't. Still don't care though, won't make the game any better.

Mission --> checkpoint --> checkpoint --> checkpoint --> mission location --> checkpoint --> checkpoint --> checkpoint --> start new mission

But now you get sawed off shotguns!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

The game did, the dlc didn't. Still don't care though, won't make the game any better.

Mission --> checkpoint --> checkpoint --> checkpoint --> mission location --> checkpoint --> checkpoint --> checkpoint --> start new mission

But now you get sawed off shotguns!

I agree fully that the dlc is not worth it and that the game was not "exciting" to play which is a problem.

But the world they created and many parts of FC2 made it a great effort. I can see FC3 being pretty freaking awesome.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazino
View Post

I agree fully that the dlc is not worth it and that the game was not "exciting" to play which is a problem.

But the world they created and many parts of FC2 made it a great effort. I can see FC3 being pretty freaking awesome.

Agree. The game was WAY too cut and dry but the world was pretty nice. The real time weather system, wind and fire effects and the way it interacted did show that they did put some thought into the world itself. However the missions were so repetitive and so stretched out that the game got boring. FC3 needs to add some cut scenes, add an "wanted" system like in GTA (cause apparently EVERYONE in Africa knows who you are 5mins in the game) and spruce up the textures and character models.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
SILENCED shotgun? That's like an oxymoron.
No it's not. My dads remington 700 25-06 (I only have a measly .245) is louder than my remington 11-87 12 gauge magnum. Shotguns aren't the loudest guns around and they silence louder rifles like 30-06s or .308s and I wouldn't doubt .50 cals. If they were called loudguns instead of shotguns, maybe it would be an oxymoron.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.derp
View Post

No it's not. My dads remington 700 25-06 (I only have a measly .245) is louder than my remington 11-87 12 gauge magnum. Shotguns aren't the loudest guns around and they silence louder rifles like 30-06s or .308s and I wouldn't doubt .50 cals. If they were called loudguns instead of shotguns, maybe it would be an oxymoron.

Big difference, do you know the actual mechanics behind how a Sound Suppressor works?

The simple version is that they capture the muzzle gasses that propell the round out of the chamber and dissipate it more slowly rather than have it all escape at once, for that to work you need a good solid slug to act as a plug to prevent the gasses escaping past the round as its fired

Since a shotty thats using lead shot etc its not one solid mass thus rendering it kind of useless, yes the shot is contained in a plastic cup essentially when shot there is still the problem of the seal not being good enough, there is much more to it than that and why a shotgun isn't good for suppressing but there is a very simple explanation

You could potentially suppress a shotgun firing deer slug since it would give a better seal but it could be potentially problematic to do it

Secondly sound suppressor's only help reduce the sound coming out of the muzzle to a tolerable level and change its pitch to something people don't recognize instantly as a gunshot you still have to treat the problem of the supersonic crack the bullet itself creates by lowering the rounds velocity to fall under the speed of sound (either done by increasing the weight of the projectile or the amount of propellant or both)

That would be why the rifle sounds louder than the shotgun, the crack of the bullet itself mixed with the sound of the gun itself firing

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
What about that silenced shotty in no country for old men?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr3m1in
View Post

Big difference, do you know the actual mechanics behind how a Sound Suppressor works?

The simple version is that they capture the muzzle gasses that propell the round out of the chamber and dissipate it more slowly rather than have it all escape at once, for that to work you need a good solid slug to act as a plug to prevent the gasses escaping past the round as its fired

Since a shotty thats using lead shot etc its not one solid mass thus rendering it kind of useless, yes the shot is contained in a plastic cup essentially when shot there is still the problem of the seal not being good enough, there is much more to it than that and why a shotgun isn't good for suppressing but there is a very simple explanation

You could potentially suppress a shotgun firing deer slug since it would give a better seal but it could be potentially problematic to do it

Secondly sound suppressor's only help reduce the sound coming out of the muzzle to a tolerable level and change its pitch to something people don't recognize instantly as a gunshot you still have to treat the problem of the supersonic crack the bullet itself creates by lowering the rounds velocity to fall under the speed of sound (either done by increasing the weight of the projectile or the amount of propellant or both)

That would be why the rifle sounds louder than the shotgun, the crack of the bullet itself mixed with the sound of the gun itself firing

Well guess what, you don't use BB's to kill men no matter the BB gauge. Silencing a shotgun isn't any different from a rifle. I know how a silencer works, I have had plenty fun modifying a cheap .22 into a silenced, squirrel killing machine when I was young. I ruined the gun after trying for an automatic mechanism.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The standard defensive shot gun load for the police and the military is double ought buck so you do indeed use them to kill men i'm sorry to say mate and it has been for a LONG time, more men have died from buck shot than from slugs any way you look at it

Slugs are not commonly used except for breaching rounds and for hunting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.