1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Study: Xbox 360 Is 'Console Online Gaming Leader,' 87% Play PC Games Online
by Chris Faylor Mar 10, 2009 10:28am CST tags: NPD, Study, Online Gaming

The Xbox 360 is "the console online gaming leader" in the United States, according to a study conducted by marketing research group NPD between January 6-26, 2009. However, the PC remains "the most widely used platform for online gaming activities."

An online survey of "just over 20,000" U.S. residents found that the Xbox 360 accounted for 50% of consoles played online. The Wii made up 29%, a jump from 2008's 18%.

As for PC, NPD told Shacknews that 87% of those surveyed used a PC to play games online. That's down from 90% in 2008, described as a statistically significant decrease.

Specific figures for other platforms were not provided, but the company said that "PS2 fell dramatically and PS3 moved up from fifth place to third place."

The study further noted that micro-transaction downloads have slowed since last year's report, and added that Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners engage in micro-transactions and purchase more downloadable content than those of other systems.

Overall, online console and portable gaming was said to have seen a "statistically significant increase," with 25% of those surveyed going online playing online with a console in 2009. That's up from last year, which only saw 19% play online.

Of the total online gamers, 22% were aged 13-17, an increase from last year's 17%. Meanwhile, the 18-34 and 35-54 year old demographics saw a decrease in usage, though exact figures were not provided.

Quote:

Methodology
The report is based on online survey responses from just over 20,000 members of NPD's online consumer panel ages 2 and older (respondents age 2-12 were captured via surrogate reporting). Respondents had to personally play video games on a PC, video game system or device used for gaming. In order to qualify as an online gamer, respondents had to use one or more of the following systems to play games online: Nintendo DS/DS Lite handheld system, Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Sony PSP handheld system, Xbox, Xbox 360 or PC. Both online gamers and gamers overall (whether online or offline) were included in the study. The survey data is weighted to represent the U.S. population of individuals ages 2 and older. Fieldwork was conducted from January 6-26, 2009.

ShackNews

What's interesting are these other articles:

Quote:

Registered Accounts on Playstation Network Exceed 20 Million Worldwide

In a press release Wednesday (read below), Sony announces that in just two years and three months more than 20 million PSN accounts have been registered worldwide on the PlayStation 3. That's three million more than registered Xbox Live accounts. Microsoft's public relations firm, Edelman, informed me "There are more than 17 million Xbox LIVE members worldwide."

Source

Quote:

UK Xbox Head Does Not Believe Sony's 20 Million PlayStation Network Figure

However, Stephen McGill, the head of Microsoft's UK gaming and entertainment division, is skeptical, as those numbers would place the number of PSN users at 3 million more than what Microsoft has with Xbox Live. To that end, he says that there are "questions over what does Sony's numbers really mean."

Source

Discuss

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
wait, doesn't this make sense? sonys playstation network is free and prompts you to sign up as soon as your PS3 is setup and detects an internet connection. Therefore thats pretty much everybody who owns a PS3. Whereas you have to take the time to sign up and pay for a subscribtion to xboxlive and my argument would be that a lower percentage of 360 owners would have done that than signed up to the free service on the PSN. This isnt a "which online service is better and has more players". Its simply how many of the users of each console have an account. There are always more users on a website with free subscribtion than there are paying subscribers. Its not to say that the free version is better. But more people will naturally have a free account than a payed one. With that said I'd say sonys figures probably make sense..

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes
View Post

wait, doesn't this make sense? sonys playstation network is free and prompts you to sign up as soon as your PS3 is setup and detects an internet connection. Therefore thats pretty much everybody who owns a PS3. Whereas you have to take the time to sign up and pay for a subscribtion to xboxlive and my argument would be that a lower percentage of 360 owners would have done that than signed up to the free service on the PSN. This isnt a "which online service is better and has more players". Its simply how many of the users of each console have an account. With that said I'd say sonys figures probably make sense..

Wouldn't be the first time Sony has done that.

·
Registered
654 Posts
More than 20 million PSN users....hmmm as there are only a little over 21 million total Ps3 sales I find that number hard to belive.

Oh and is the xbox figure just gold users?

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Xbox 360 most popular online console - NPD

Quote:

The NPD Group has issued its report, Online Gaming 2009, revealing that the Xbox 360 is the most widely used console online.

According to the study, Microsoft's console accounts for 50 per cent of the online home console market and is followed by the Nintendo Wii at 29 per cent, up from 18 per cent the previous year.

"This is a testament to the strength of Xbox 360, both overall, and particularly in the online gaming sphere," commented NPD.

The report showed the PlayStation 2 fall "dramatically" while the PlayStation 3 climbed from fifth to third place. While online gaming for home consoles and portable devices climbed from 19 per cent in 2008 to 25 per cent in 2009, online PC gaming saw a slight decline but remains the most widespread platform.

"Online gaming is enjoyed by a diverse group of players," said Anita Frazier, industry analyst for NPD. "The sheer variety of content and ease of access makes online gaming attractive to a much larger demographic than what we typically see in retail."

The report further revealed that online gamers aged between 13-17 years-old increased from to 22 percent in 2009, while those between 18-34 years-old, as well as those 35-54, decreased slightly.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ole-npd-report

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:

Xbox 360 Is 'Console Online Gaming Leader,' 87% Play PC Games Online

Wait what? The article title doesn't even make any sense for a start...

X360 and PC are completely different

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz
View Post

The report further revealed that online gamers aged between 13-17 years-old increased from to 22 percent in 2009

That's pretty much the group I try to avoid.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Of course the older demographic is decreasing, since they are getting jobs and going to school. 13-17 you are in high school and do nothing.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike
View Post

Why would you bother posting that when it's almost the exact same article?

Because it is the same type of article? What's it to you anyways?

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike
View Post

Why would you bother posting that when it's almost the exact same article?

Because its better to post it in a similar thread than make a new one?

Its not uncommon to quote multiple sources when you're posting a news article.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by diligenthunter
View Post

More than 20 million PSN users....hmmm as there are only a little over 21 million total Ps3 sales I find that number hard to belive.

Oh and is the xbox figure just gold users?

Yeah I personally don't think its real either. Its free, you could do multiple accounts. Though, same could be said about XBL unless MS counts only Gold users.

·
Registered
565 Posts
well my brother has 3 accounts and i have 2, and most of his friends have more than one account...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quote:
87% play PC games online
Don't be fooled, that will include all the browser based games out there, not just games that run as separate applications on their own.

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
*Flame suit, on*
Kind of figured this to be the case. I look at it this way; 360 hardcore gaming console, not much else a pure gaming experience. All your friends fragging out enjoy the many games offered. PS3 you can game on it but, the other features out weigh it i.e. blue ray, surfing the web & most notably "No RRoD" etc... Wii it's cute for like 30 minutes. A quick game of Mario & Zelda. Have some friends over, get drunk. Now the love has worn off.

Don't hate me for speaking the truth, lol. Actually love my PS3.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
If I had a 360 I would not have gotten it online right away. It doesn't have built in wireless so now you have to connect a wire to it. The other reason is because it doesn't pop up and have me do it right away.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts