Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Following up on its weekly sales charts, marketing research group NPD has compiled a list of the 20 best-selling PC games at United States retailers during February.

While the chart sees the debut of Dawn of War II and F.E.A.R. 2, both of which were released during February, most of the listed games haven't changed from January.

1.World Of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King / Blizzard / $38 (Average)
2.The Sims 2 Double Deluxe / EA Maxis / $19 (Average)
3.Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II / Relic / $49 (Average)
4.World Of Warcraft: Battle Chest / Blizzard / $37 (Average)
5.F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin / Monolith / $50 (Average)
6.Spore / EA Maxis / $45 (Average)
7.World Of Warcraft / Blizzard / $18 (Average)
8.The Sims 2 Apartment Life Exp. Pack / EA Maxis / $20 (Average)
9.Fallout 3 / Bethesda / $47 (Average) 10.World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack / Blizzard / $28 (Average)
11.Call Of Duty: World At War / Treyarch / $46 (Average)
12.Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 / EA LA / $30 (Average)
13.Left 4 Dead / Valve / $46 (Average)
14.The Sims 2 Deluxe / EA Maxis / $3 (Averge)
15.Civilization IV / Firaxis / $21 (Average)
16.The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff Exp. / EA Maxis / $18 (Average)
17.StarCraft Battle Chest / Blizzard / $20 (Average)
18.Spore Creepy & Cute Parts Pack / EA Maxis / $18 (Average)
19.Diablo Battle Chest / Blizzard / $34 (Average)
20.The Sims 2 Pets Exp. / EA Maxis / $19 (Average)
It's old but I did a search. Amazing, the number of Blizzard games. And Diablo II!

Source

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Bullocks! imo WoW is one of the most over-rated games on the planet! It is surprising that so many n00bs keep buying such a mediocre game.The PC games list is soo forged and made, just to make PC look bad! I find it sad, that developer use this as a benchmark to know how well their games are selling compared to others.

NDP is a load of crap Why?

1. It doesn't include online distribution via Steam...amazon...ebay...
2. These sales are irrelevant, as these are only PC game sales in NA and europe.

Also, its funny, how when a new game is released it automatically goes in the top of the chart

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:

Bullocks imo! WoW is one of the most over-rated games on the planet! It is surprising that so many n00bs keep buying such a mediocre game.

I suggest you take a big breath and then consider how different people like different games. It's not overrated - if people enjoy it then it's a good game - for them.

What you said is extremely rude and ignorant. My opinion of you just dropped, a lot.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coma
View Post

I suggest you take a big breath and then consider how different people like different games. It's not overrated - if people enjoy it then it's a good game - for them.

What you said is extremely rude and ignorant.

This.

Also, I saw this a few weeks ago when was first posted and it's indeed amazing to see so many blizzard games in there lol, but I'm surpsised that here's no orange box there or any valve game... I guess this don't count steam sales...?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post
Bullocks imo! WoW is one of the most over-rated games on the planet! It is surprising that so many n00bs keep buying such a mediocre game.The PC games list is soo forged and made, just to make PC look bad! I find it sad, that developer use this as a benchmark to know how well their games are selling compared to others.
Also, its funny, how when a new game is released it automatically goes in the top of the chart

It's not irrelevant but should be taken with a grain of salt. New games get to the top of the charts because it is only sales for that month, not overall.
I'd have to agree that just because you don't play a game, there is no need to insult people who do. Wow is not for me either but people have their tastes and it suites many people.

I <3 Starcraft

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by howHardCanItBeView Post
Bullocks imo! WoW is one of the most over-rated games on the planet! It is surprising that so many n00bs keep buying such a mediocre game.The PC games list is soo forged and made, just to make PC look bad! I find it sad, that developer use this as a benchmark to know how well their games are selling compared to others.

Ehhh - I personally agree with you in some areas, but people who like that type of game like the game. There isn't much more you can say. I personally think WoW is a crappy MMO - it doesn't appeal to me in any way whatsoever. But, that doesn't mean it applies to everyone.

Quote:

That I agree on (except Ebay)

Quote:
2. These sales are irrelevant, as these are only PC game sales in NA and europe.

That I don't. I can't see you including other places like Africa game sales. Maybe China/Japan but they are much more of console orrientated people. Not to mention, the games up on that list probably don't sell even remotely well enough as compared to NA/Europe.

Quote:

Licht King or w/e isn't brand new. Its been out for several months now.

What is SAD IMO is that those stupid, half minded Sims 2 expansion packs are up on that list. Why? Sims 2 is awesome, don't get me wrong, but EA/Maxis are a bunch of money grubbing, pocket picking, no good, darn tuting, theives. They charge $20 for basically adding a couple of couches and similar to the buy menu and maybe something like more pets or something stupid like that. Its absurd. Yet they sell like you wouldn't believe! Its ridiculous IMO how blind parents can be when they buy these things for their kids. My own mom does it for my younger brother every time either a new one comes out or my brother breaks/looses them even if I try to intervene and speak my 2 cents.

Its a complete. waste. of. money. Period.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBeView Post

NDP is a load of crap Why?

So a game in YOUR opinion that sucks, yet is easily one of the BEST-SELLING(-hint- has the most sales as a SINGLE GAME) shouldn't be at the top of the list. I personally think Civi and Spore are ******ed games but they sold an asston of games. It's not going for most popular here genius but the. MOST. SOLD.

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coma
View Post

What you said is extremely rude and ignorant. My opinion of you just dropped, a lot.

eh? I had my grammer wrong
. It was meant to be "imo wow is the worst game"

Those who buy this game don't realise how addictive and how much impact it has on your life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannythm
View Post

This.

Also, I saw this a few weeks ago when was first posted and it's indeed amazing to see so many blizzard games in there lol, but I'm surpsised that here's no orange box there or any valve game... I guess this don't count steam sales...?

They don't!

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayskunk
View Post

It's not irrelevant but should be taken with a grain of salt. New games get to the top of the charts because it is only sales for that month, not overall.
I'd have to agree that just because you don't play a game, there is no need to insult people who do. Wow is not for me either but people have their tastes and it suites many people.

I <3 Starcraft

It just doesn't feel right to have that game continue to be the no. 1 see all the previous PC NDP figures they seem to follow a distinct pattern. I like starcraft as well but I was refering it to Wow in particular! I never dissed starcraft at all!

Quote:

That I don't. I can't see you including other places like Africa game sales. Maybe China/Japan but they are much more of console orrientated people. Not to mention, the games up on that list probably don't sell even remotely well enough as compared to NA/Europe.

Its not Africa but...there is Australia...Japan(as you mentioned)...India,Malaysia,South Korea, Russia. Though, you are right that NA is the largest marketshare in terms of determining sales, but, you can't discount other countries. Every sales counts

Quote:

Licht King or w/e isn't brand new. Its been out for several months now.

Sorry again...its just that Wow keeps taking the no.1. position after a new game comes out. Don't you find that suspicious?

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Those who buy this game don't realise how addictive and how much impact it has on your life.

I played the game for 4 years and had a perfectly healthy life.

Quote:
Its not Africa but...there is Australia...Japan(as you mentioned)...India,Malaysia,South Korea, Russia. Though, you are right that NA is the largest marketshare in terms of determining sales, but, you can't discount other countries. Every sales counts

They would find it hard to collate such data at the same time and regardless, these markets are insignificant and it's unlikely the rank of a game would change anyway.

Quote:
Sorry again...its just that Wow keeps taking the no.1. position after a new game comes out. Don't you find that suspicious?

I have a theory, maybe it's just a good game and you harbour an unhealthy prejudice.

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx
View Post

I played the game for 4 years and had a perfectly healthy life.

You just don't know it. Stop playing it and find out! If you can resist for 5 months then I give you a gold medal and most likely you are immune to withdrawl syndromes. Every friend who has been playing wow seems to be causing an inbalance in their life! They have institution in Korea to help people overcome the addiction of online gaming.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

You just don't know it. Stop playing it and find out! If you can resist for 5 months then I give you a gold medal and most likely you are immune to withdrawl syndromes. Every friend who has been playing wow seems to be causing an inbalance in their life! They have institution in Korea to help people overcome the addiction of online gaming.

I have stopped playing. Your turn.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

how long

I don't play games mate anymore, change of priorties!

3 months. I just got bored of it and I don't have time.

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx
View Post

3 months. I just got bored of it and I don't have time.

wow(no intended pun btw) that's strange. You are the first person I know who hasn't been addicted. I have a friend who's sister was totally addicted to this game, she would move or go to work.

Don't mean to go OT but what happened to your 4850???
Why did you get a 7900gtx?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Quote:

I played WoW for over 2 years. Then one day I just stopped. I tried going back several times but it hasn't been the same since.

The thing that gets me is that each new WoW sell means another person has just been added to blizzards servers. I can only imagine how much money they are making.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've been playing WoW for four years and I'm not addicted. That stereotype has to stop.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
so... who else is still surprised SC and D2 are still best selling?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:

I played WoW a couple years ago for around 6 months, stopped cold. I started again last year- I'm a premed student at a respectable university, held two lab jobs and was in a serious relationship, while playing a raid mage in a highly rated guild.

I stopped last September, haven't played since.

IMO the only people who get addicted to WoW are the people who have had very little previous gaming experience, or would otherwise be addicted to another game. IMO, WoW addiction is for newbs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
meh... I don't really like NPD numbers that much. A lot of games sell a good portion of their copies online through steam, I know DoW2 is probably selling something like 60:40 in In-store vs Online, because even if you buy it retail, you still have to use steam to play it, so it makes a lot more sense to just buy it from home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts