Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Relative industry newcomer Kim Swift has left Valve and joined Dark Void developer Airtight Games as a project lead, the latter independent studio revealed today.

Having previously led development of Portal and worked on both Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 while at Valve, Swift's role at Airtight will be to "build and lead a team in the development of games aimed at a more diverse audience." Swift garnered industry attention through the release of Nuclear Monkey's DigiPen studentproject Narbacular Drop in 2005, with Valve then hiring the team to work on what became Portal.

Valve's Portal and Airtight's upcoming Dark Void

Airtight president Jim Deal noted that Swift's hire represents a "strategy move" as the independent studio moves into "new and broader gaming markets."

"I've learned so much and had some amazing experiences at Valve," noted Swift in today's announcement. "But when I heard I had the opportunity to work on innovative titles with my friends over at Airtight, I couldn't pass it up."

Update: An Airtight Games representative tells Shacknews that Swift had no role on the January-due Dark Void, explaining "she is focused on future projects at this time."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61510

I wonder what this means for Portal 2

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckbandit35
View Post

I wonder what this means for Portal 2

it's a lie?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
isn't she the lady who's hand is featured on L4D2 (or L4D?)'s cover?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Well, I think Valve is big enough and good enough to come up with a decent Portal sequel anyway (might take a decade or so, but still). I mean, I'm sure she would have helped, but I highly doubt that a Portal sequel will be disappointing.

After looking into Airtight Games, I am now a little interested in this Dark Void game. It looks like Lost Planet + flying combined with Gears of War cover.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^
View Post

isn't she the lady who's hand is featured on L4D2 (or L4D?)'s cover?

IDK about that, maybe?

She was the main dev on Narbacular Drop, which later on became Portal once her and the rest of her team got hired by Valve.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestorm252
View Post

it's a lie?

Haha Win

Good for her though, she left a great company making really popular games, to do something more suited to what she wanted to be doing.

As for Portal 2, Im sure they'll get along fine without her, They'll assign a new team leader or whatever, and since the Valve guys already have a good idea of what Portal is all about, im sure it wont affect it much. It'll still be awesome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts