Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay being convinced that with a buget of 210 bux for a new grafix card I should get an Nvidia 6600. I was also drawn to the card by the fact that the card supports some pretty cool new features such as SM 3.0 for a pretty for a good price... Considering that at the moment there are no games supporting SM 3.0 (exept for a patch made for Far cry that is purely for an in game performance upgrade and not really for image quality) How long will we be waiting to see the "REAL" difference in in-game image quality using this new technowlogy? Well in my opinion we wont be seein' what this tech. can really do until the unreal engine 3 is released and More ATI cards start supporting newer tech like this, which is probabaly just around the corner(Oh and dont forget the next generation of DirectX). But of course its never bad to be ready for future games with techs such as these! SO... Now that I've told u guyz what I think please, give me your thoughts on the subject and if Im wrong please feel free to corrct me!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
There are very few games with shader operations more than 300-400 instructions long, which is well within the limit of SM2.1b. There's no point in it really, just an advertising ploy, I doubt even the Unreal 3 engine will make extensive use of the technology, it's just there because Microsoft says it needs to be.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay But which manufacturer should I buy from??? I heard the Galaxy 6600 GT AGP 128 MB Is REALLY good and it out does any other 6600GT out there (with its core already running at 520Mhz and its mem. running at 1000Mhz stock)! Does anyone konw about it???

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
They're all essentialy the same since they're all based off of nVidia's reference design. I know the XFX model comes clocked at 500/1000 whereas most are 400/900 I think. 25MHz overclock is nothing, and most cards will do that right off the bat, so it if costs considerably more, don't bother.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

They're all essentialy the same since they're all based off of nVidia's reference design. I know the XFX model comes clocked at 500/1000 whereas most are 400/900 I think. 25MHz overclock is nothing, and most cards will do that right off the bat, so it if costs considerably more, don't bother.

Okay i'll take that into account

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatewaki

R520 will support SM3.0

Must Be an ATI card... Right??? anyone know when its set to come out???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts