Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my main computer running Windows 10 and connected to the router so it has internet. I built an XP machine to use some old programs. I don't have it connected to the internet since it's no longer secure. Is there a way I can still share files between the two computers without having internet on the XP machine?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would think you would be able to just use an ethernet crossover cable and as long as they're in the same workgroup setting for home network you should be able to? Maybe someone else can chime in with more clarity as I'm not sure if Win 10 and XP would play nice together, but I would think it would be feasible.
redface.gif

To clarify I mean a crossover cable between the two and even though you're not online with the XP machine you would just have to choose the same workgroup under networking options.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I would need a second ethernet port for that since my main computer is connected to the router?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrC View Post

I guess I would need a second ethernet port for that since my main computer is connected to the router?
I wasn't sure if you needed to actually be on the internet to transfer files or if you just had them in maybe your documents folder and was just suggesting ethernet cable ran between the 2 computers for transfer purposes (ie you'd have to disconnect from your router and just go pc to pc) but Cones brought up a good alternative as well.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cones View Post

Block the XP computers on the router from having internet access. If you do what MythTFLfan29 said you shouldn't actually need a crossover cable.
I hadn't thought of that. I'll see if I can make this happen. This is more along the lines of what I was hoping for since my one computer uses the ethernet port for internet and I don't want to have to plug in the cables every time I want to share something.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as an update, that all worked. I plugged the machines into the router and set them to the same workgroup. I set the IP address and subnet mask, and deleted the default gateway and preferred DNS on the XP machine. That kept it from accessing the internet, and as a backup also blocked it through the router. At first I couldn't access shared files, but once I typed in the computer name into the address bar everything showed up. So no crossover cable ever needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts