Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So, I have a laptop that I bring and use a lot at work, or when I am out on vacation or doing whatever now. Turns out I can get a lot done when I am out and about. Instead of having to dump everything onto my external drive and then connect it to my desktop to bring new files over, I want to be able to just straight up share a specific folder from the laptop with ONLY my desktop over a wireless network.

Can I get a little assistance on doing this?

I have a wireless router (Netgear N150 series), a laptop, and a desktop. Desktop is connected directly to router, laptop connects wirelessly. I want to share a specific folder from my laptop and be able to drop files into it and pull it up on my desktop to grab those files and sort it out into folders on my desktop... all without letting other people on the network access my files.

Both computers run Windows 7.

There seem to be a lot of guides when searching Google but they kind of make things seem complicated. Maybe there's a piece of software that will help me do this or, can someone give a straightforward guide to doing this?

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Well if you want to use software, you can just use dropbox or an FTP client/server.

I thought if you shared a folder in windows on a workgroup, you could just set the name of the other user who can access it - or even assign a password to the share.

Try selecting the folder, then choosing share from the toolbar.

I believe you will be able to set specific users on the same workgroup with a password.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was able to get the folder shared, but it appears to be shared with the entire network. Now, I guess I just need to password protect it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I remember doing this for my wireless network to transfer videos from one laptop to another... one had XP and other win7.. man my router was dying lol. Its a WRT54G and I guess couldnt handle the transfer load, because my internet connection start to slow down to a crawl during transfers. I had to reset my router couple times.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I currently have my laptop/PC setup the way you want so that files can be taken and given easily between the two PCs without any external connections by using just the wireless adapters.

First, you'll want to turn on your sharing functions. You can do this pretty easily by clicking on the internet access bar at the bottom right hand corner of your screen.

This should allow you to open the "Network and Sharing Center." Once that is open, you will want to click on the "Advanced Sharing Settings" on the upper left hand corner. Once this is open, you'll want to make sure Public Sharing is on and that Password Protection is enabled. This should make it so that it is a required to access either PCs documents with a password.

Once this is done, simply open the "Network" panel. It should list all the networks connected to your wireless. If you can't find it, do a search for "Network," and it should pop up. Once you see your laptop / PC listed under the wireless networks, simply click on the one you want to access. It'll ask you for a username (the name you installed windows 7 with), and a password (which you can designate by going under the control profile and editing the administrator PW).

I think this is the correct method. At least, this is how I do it, and no one can access either my laptop or desktop without my username and a password. It also allows files to be transferred between one another wirelessly.

I'll keep an eye on this thread if you're still having anymore trouble, so feel free to respond.

• Rep+
Reactions: ItsBobtista

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsBobtista
View Post

Well, I was able to get the folder shared, but it appears to be shared with the entire network. Now, I guess I just need to password protect it.

I think to get password protection working, you will need to establish a user account on your machine for the person who wants to access the files, then you can right click the directory, choose properties->advanced sharing.

Then you can just add the persons user name from the account you just created and assign them to proper permissions for the share. They will then need to authenticate to that account when they connect to the share.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
biggrin.gif
Cool. Thanks for the tips, guys. I got it working now. Folder is password protected when my desktop tries to access it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts