Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember the cool think I noticed about the GTX 260 and 280 cards was that they had a cool shielding on top of the card rather than just the PCB.

But I also saw a shot of the new GTX 260 Core and it didn't appear to have that. Is this something nVidia has done away with? If so it's too bad because from inside the case I bet it looks much cooler with the shielding.

·
M2N Fan
2,861 Posts
I think he talking about the big cooling plate for the backside of the vid card.
there is a thread here somewhere but I could not find it. was an EVGA device I believe.

Gyro

·
Registered
295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkbob33 View Post
I agree that the backplate did make the card look cooler in the case(especially if you have a window mod). Correct me if im wrong, but i thought the backplate was for memory chip cooling.
Yes the backplate is indeed the memory heatsink of the gtx260 and 280.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
The GTX260 55nm and GTX285 have all their memory on one side and no longer need the backplate.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

The GTX260 55nm and GTX285 have all their memory on one side and no longer need the backplate.

Just what I was about to say...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, that sux. I think they should have left the panel on though for looks. I mean why is the cool looking part of the card facing down so all we have to look at is a PCB board?

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitphire View Post
Damn, that sux. I think they should have left the panel on though for looks. I mean why is the cool looking part of the card facing down so all we have to look at is a PCB board?
IDK but i agree it would be cool looking to have a backplate on all video cards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts