My laptop specs:

i7 4900MQ @ 2.8Ghz 8MB cache
gtx 880m 8gb
32GB 2133Mhz CL11 Kingston hyperX ram
2x 250gb samsung evo 840 msata ssd RAID 0
1tb 7200rpm hdd

the HTPC:
i7 4790k
asus h81 mini itx motherboard (yeah i know sucky)
Asus GTX 970 mini 4gb
16gb ddr3
240gb ssd
CM Elite 180 HTPC case
1TB Hdd

Do you think this mobo would bottleneck me? I may perhaps upgrade to a mini atx Z97 board if so.

I use PC to play Dota 2 and Rust @1080p and do video editing/rendering. I think it is going to be a step up in terms of CPU and GPU power but I'm also trading my extra ram and SSD space as well. So I'm kind of hesitant about this. What do you suggest overclock.net?

·
Registered
600 Posts
At the premium prices gaming laptops command I see this trade as a lose lose for you. Not only will you be losing money as the HTPC build most likely cost less than your laptop, you will have to get a new mobo right off the bat for the HTPC build to suit your needs. Just not worth it IMO, you'd be better off selling the laptop for as much as you can then using that money to build a decent HTPC if you really want to make the switch back to desktop. At least that's my
2cents.gif
on it & what I would personally do.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

Why do you want to make the change? Your laptop is actually pretty good specs wise... I'd just keep the laptop for a few more years. That motherboard is going to bottleneck the k series cpu...
My CPU has throttling issues. It scales down to 3.2Ghz when I'm working in Adobe Premiere. So it is not ideal for my work. I need a chip that can constantly give me constant performance.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
You can get a lot better pc for the money, if you sell the laptop.

Laptop probably worth double tha HTPC, even if HTPC us better performance wise

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to stay with this laptop any longer because its warranty is going to end in coming September. Warranty is a big factor in buying/selling computer parts so I don't want it going at lower price than I wish. There's a limited upgrade capability with this and it runs too hot. So much CPU and GPU throttling is happening. I get 90 celcius degrees GPU temps in heavy games... Removing battery while gaming cuts the power going to the system and reduces overheating but it also effects performance... See? I don't want to deal with power saving and overheating issues gaming laptops have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlig View Post

You can get a lot better pc for the money, if you sell the laptop.

Laptop probably worth double tha HTPC, even if HTPC us better performance wise
It happened that the guy I was going to trade made a deal with another person. He's going to sell his computer and then he'll buy my laptop with cash. I asked of him the exact amount of cash to buy this rig:

Cheap CPU cooler (Will be replaced by 240mm radiator AIO CPU cooler)
ASUS Z170 DDR4 MINI ITX MOBO
32GB DDR4 3200MHZ GSKILL RAM
CORSAIR FORCE 240GB SSD (WILL BE REPLACED WITH SAMSUNG 950 PRO, JUST A PLACEHOLDER)
1TB 7200 RPM HDD (WILL BE REPLACED WITH AT LEAST 4 TB)
620W SEASONIC PSU
AEROCOOL CUBE CASE FOR MINI ITX
GPU WILL BE ADDED LATER.

Yeah no GPUs. I think Intel Integrated GPU can handle my Dota 2 gaming @ medium settings for a while. Since I'm doing 80% video editing, 20% Dota 2. And Intel GPU is more than enough for video GPU accelerated video works. It even surpasses dedicated GPUs in some encode/decode instances.

I might wait go with Nvidia Pascal perhaps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts