Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ivy Bridge Delidding Guide
By: Swag

This guide is NOT for amateurs and only if you are willing to take the time to do the steps properly!
I am not responsible if you damage your CPU or any other component with the use of this guide.
Why Delid?
This is probably a very popular answer because what do you have to gain from this? I mean, it voids warranty and what good can that bring? The main reason why I delidded was to lower temps significantly and I assure you, that's what most people want. Ivy Bridge normally runs hot and many people are limited by it and that's where delid comes into play. I went from 85C average to a 63C average. That's a 22C drop!

The Fun Part:

Tools:

Razor blade
Paper (Optional, I liked it because it was anti-static and it's easier to see things with a white background)

Prepping:
Make sure you are completely discharged! Have an anti-static bracelet or something to that effect because we will be touching the capacitors at the bottom of the CPU and that is sensitive to electric discharge! Many dead CPU's from delidding actually come from this rather than scratching the die!

Cutting:
Now, I know it may be hard to get used to it but you will eventually catch on to it.
When inserting the blade, it should be flat or slightly curved upwards. If you have a CPU where you had a heavy mount on it and the corners seem really tightened, you can make it slightly angled towards the PCB to make the initial break in and once you do, just make it flat and start wiggling it about. The part where you enter slightly angled and you make it flat will make it seem that you are bending the CPU, don't worry! It's part of the process!

After that, you should be into the glue a bit and you can advance in two ways!:
a) Wiggling around the 1st corner to the middle and then to the 2nd corner
b) Finish 1 corner and then do the same to the 2nd corner

This wouldn't be a guide if I didn't tell you how to properly do it and the most important part is not scratching the die while trying to cut the glue!

Here is a picture (Courtesy of Valgaur) that I drew lines on that INDICATE the limit of how far you can go in! No more!

Great news! You don't have to worry about these sides because the die isn't even close to them!:

Corners!: (Only go up to this far for the corners!)

Here are critical parts of the CPU where you have to analyze!:

Cut only up to this point (About 3/4 ~ 4/5 of the crescent):

After doing all these steps for all sides, just wiggle it out and you should be able to take it off with minimal resistance!

Cleaning off the glue!
I just applied some 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to the glue and rubbed it out with my finger and nails! Be gentle with rubbing the glue off the PCB with your nails! I dulled my nails before I did this.

Applying TIM to the die:
Put a tiny amount like the size of half of a rice grain (half of a rice grain method is what I call it!) onto the die and put it into the socket! Just place the IHS on top of it and retain it with the brackets! Do not spread because the same laws apply here, air bubbles will get in and increase temps and the chance of you scratching the die from a card or something is very high!

Finish!
After putting the IHS and bracket on, just treat it like any other seating of heatsink! Apply the method you like (Rice grain method best!) and slap on that heatsink and run it! It shouldn't be dead and all you will see are low cool temps!
cool.gif

A visual comparison!
What "half a rice grain" looks like after it has been seated

Clean CPU, this will show you a guess on how much you have to cut. Like I said, 3/4 of the crescent on the top left and right will do!

How the "half a rice grain" method looks like!

Message from Me:
I hope this helped the skeptical people and I hope this actually helped rather than make more confusion! If this does make problems, please inform me because I do not want more people to suffer if it is the case. I did this exactly down to the point with my CPU and I believe it is the most effective way for you to not get a scratch on your die! My CPU lives and I will post here and the Ivy Bridge Owners Club for my amazing results!

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Great news! You don't have to worry about these sides because the die isn't even close to them!:

I'm so proud of my CPU!

*sniff* *sniff*

(my CPU btw
tongue.gif
)

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Just as an FYI, the major componts of the actual CPU itself is on the part of the die facing the PCB. The top half has a full 30-40 thousands of an inch before hitting anyhting. Minor scratches on the die itself will do nothing to hurt the CPU (except on the corners).

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgaur View Post

I'm so proud of my CPU!

*sniff* *sniff*

(my CPU btw
tongue.gif
)
Haha! Go delid now!
tongue.gif
Make it even better. Thanks for the pictures too! Amazing quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

Just as an FYI, the major componts of the actual CPU itself is on the part of the die facing the PCB. The top half has a full 30-40 thousands of an inch before hitting anyhting. Minor scratches on the die itself will do nothing to hurt the CPU (except on the corners).
If you don't mind, I'll be putting this on the info part.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag View Post

Haha! Go delid now!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
I will be lol Gonna try to fold at 5 Ghz after delidding it gonna use this stuff on the die

Prolimatech PRO-PK3-5G Nano Aluminum High-Grade Thermal Compound in 5 Gram

plus getting my new 4 cougars!
tongue.gif

those pics were taken by my droid 3 lol i let that thing get a very good picture of my baby 3770K lol!

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Quote:

Haha! Go delid now!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
I will be lol Gonna try to fold at 5 Ghz after delidding it gonna use this stuff on the die

Prolimatech PRO-PK3-5G Nano Aluminum High-Grade Thermal Compound in 5 Gram

plus getting my new 4 cougars!
tongue.gif

those pics were taken by my droid 3 lol i let that thing get a very good picture of my baby 3770K lol!
Yea the pictures were amazing. That TIM would probably be good since it's going to end up as a tiny film of aluminum.
tongue.gif
Orange cougars right?

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Quote:

Yea the pictures were amazing. That TIM would probably be good since it's going to end up as a tiny film of aluminum.
tongue.gif
Orange cougars right?
nope the black ones I like the black theme for my green lighting in my hornet. really shows the green inside much better and doesn't through the fans off. Can't wait for CM to make this babies windowed side panel!!!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I know I should focus on pushing the blade towards the IHS rather than towards the CPU's PCB, is there any wiggle room on a CPU that hasn't had a mounting yet? If only there was a blade that was much thinner than the average blade used for box cutters, my hobby blades are much sharper but the blade itself is thicker than the average blade.

It would be awesome if we could send out our CPU's to people that know how to delid a CPU properly!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great guide!

One thing I would like to see added to this though is that you should use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro under the IHS for the best results. With pastes like MX2, MX4, AS5 etc you will get significantly worse results.

Here a comparison of thermal conductivity:

LM Pro = 82w/mK (according to a HWBOT 2008 TIM roundup)
LM Ultra = 32 or 38w/mK (several web sources and post #216 in this thread)
IX = 20w/mK (IX literature)
PK-1 = 10.2w/m -c (frozencpu)
everything else is less

(source http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?280892-3770k-IHS-Removals-CPU-temp-dropped-from-79C-to-71C/page12 post 298)

Normally on top of the IHS this thermal conductivity does not really matter that much because the area is quiet large and sometimes uneven. However, under the IHS, the area is much smaller and nice and flat. If you want a explanation how this works, I recommend reading this post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1305788/3570-de-lid/10#post_18217997 (post 15)

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemlord View Post

I know I should focus on pushing the blade towards the IHS rather than towards the CPU's PCB, is there any wiggle room on a CPU that hasn't had a mounting yet? If only there was a blade that was much thinner than the average blade used for box cutters, my hobby blades are much sharper but the blade itself is thicker than the average blade.

It would be awesome if we could send out our CPU's to people that know how to delid a CPU properly!
Even with my CPU with the IHS so flat onto the PCB, I was able to take it off. Just when you enter in your blade, you can have it slightly angled towards the PCB. Now once you get to let go of the blade and it sticks, apply force and make it flat and start wiggling it left and right. Slowly and slowly the glue with cut off. A bit of force is going to be needed but don't worry, you won't cut the die as long as you follow the guide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador SW View Post

Great guide!

One thing I would like to see added to this though is that you should use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro under the IHS for the best results. With pastes like MX2, MX4, AS5 etc you will get significantly worse results.

Here a comparison of thermal conductivity:

LM Pro = 82w/mK (according to a HWBOT 2008 TIM roundup)
LM Ultra = 32 or 38w/mK (several web sources and post #216 in this thread)
IX = 20w/mK (IX literature)
PK-1 = 10.2w/m -c (frozencpu)
everything else is less

(source http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?280892-3770k-IHS-Removals-CPU-temp-dropped-from-79C-to-71C/page12 post 298)

Normally on top of the IHS this thermal conductivity does not really matter that much because the area is quiet large and sometimes uneven. However, under the IHS, the area is much smaller and nice and flat. If you want a explanation how this works, I recommend reading this post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1305788/3570-de-lid/10#post_18217997 (post 15)
Coollaboratory is the best TIM possible to get as close to as a real solder. The problem is, most people don't have access to that product so I talked about the normal ones instead. I just ordered mine but it'll take a while since I didn't want to pay for good shipping.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:

Even with my CPU with the IHS so flat onto the PCB, I was able to take it off. Just when you enter in your blade, you can have it slightly angled towards the PCB. Now once you get to let go of the blade and it sticks, apply force and make it flat and start wiggling it left and right. Slowly and slowly the glue with cut off. A bit of force is going to be needed but don't worry, you won't cut the die as long as you follow the guide.
It's probably easier than it looks but I'll wait till I add my water cooling blocks to delid, I'll be running it till November on air cooling. I'll have a better idea about whether I have won the chip lottery, it will be a nice comparison. It's not worth it to delid if my chip is horrible and hits an early voltage wall.

·
Registered
117 Posts
nice job swag.
thumb.gif
you made quick work of that. I think we were talking last week when you had gotten back from your trip to the store for a good blade. any pics from under the hood to get a better idea of what you're talking about? steps 4 and 5 I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoyotaco View Post

Amazing work Swag!
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoyotaco View Post

Amazing work Swag!
biggrin.gif
^ what he said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbinary View Post

Nice work, thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhal View Post

Great job
thumb.gif
Thanks guys!
tongue.gif
I hope it helped you guys or it's going to make you feel a bit more confident in delidding.
tongue.gif
I know I was completely scared with delidding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamonster7 View Post

nice job swag.
thumb.gif
you made quick work of that. I think we were talking last week when you had gotten back from your trip to the store for a good blade. any pics from under the hood to get a better idea of what you're talking about? steps 4 and 5 I believe.
I think so we were, when I take it off in a day or two for some more testing I will remember to take more pictures, but if you want pictures now, many are online in other threads about them delidding.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:

Thanks guys!
tongue.gif
I hope it helped you guys or it's going to make you feel a bit more confident in delidding.
tongue.gif
I think so we were, when I take it off in a day or two for some more testing I will remember to take more pictures, but if you want pictures now, many are online in other threads about them delidding.
We look forward to your reports on how it did for you. Thanks once more for doing this.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWargamer View Post

Quote:

Thanks guys!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
We look forward to your reports on how it did for you. Thanks once more for doing this.
thumb.gif
Not too hard actually!

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just took off my CPU and took new pictures of my delid so you guys can see what it looks like. As well as why you should be using my "half a rice grain" method on the die. I'll edit this in a second to get the pictures up!

What "half a rice grain" looks like after it has been seated

Clean CPU, this will show you a guess on how much you have to cut. Like I said, 3/4 of the crescent on the top left and right will do!

How the "half a rice grain" method looks like!

1 - 20 of 297 Posts