Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just thought, as I'd taken screen shots of my test when playing with "Short Stroke!" I would share them

The Short Stroke was done when building the Raid0 Array, and the remainder of the drive was left Unallocated

Also, the drives used were 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
And also for references to SSD speeds, I used 2x Crucial M225 64GB SSD!

First we have the "Full Size Raid0 Array" next to the "Short Stroked Raid0 Array!" And we see the nice flat line, and notice the nice lower Access Time



Again the two setups side by side, this time looking at "Random Access times!"
Was it worth losing a TB over?


And I did read, I could get close to SSD speeds

Not quite

"Short Stroked Raid0 Array" compared to "Crucial M225 64GB SSD!"


So then I though if SSD are so fast. What about Two



The Raid0 with the SSDs was made with 16k Stripes

And although 400MB/sec aren't needed, Having the two drives as one bigger drive suits my needs



The smallest "Short Stroke" array I made was 32GB, thinking how would this compare to a similar prices/size SSD? But I don't have a 30GB SSD so here's a look again at my 64GB



Here are a couple of other sizes I tried



And here we have Two Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB in Raid0

(owned by ritchwell)


So now you know what to expect

AC
 

·
how two spel
Joined
·
3,036 Posts
Wow. This will surely be helpful for anyone considering Short Stroke. Wish we could get a sticky on this, great tests worthy of it. Answers all the threads popping up asking if they should SS or not. Rep+ for you sir.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lysdexik
View Post

Wow. This will surely be helpful for anyone considering Short Stroke. Wish we could get a sticky on this, great tests worthy of it. Answers all the threads popping up asking if they should SS or not. Rep+ for you sir.


Quote:


Originally Posted by ChickenInferno
View Post

This needs some stickiness

Wow thanks lads

I'll get the 32GB, 64GB and 128GB Short Stroke R/A Test done
 

·
how two spel
Joined
·
3,036 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ACHILEE5
View Post

Wow thanks lads

I'll get the 32GB, 64GB and 128GB Short Stroke R/A Test done


Can't wait! I'll get this link to my brother who is considering picking up another drive to SS in RAID0.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,491 Posts
Short stroking doesn't get radically better as you get a smaller and smaller volume folks. Remember, rotational latencies still make up a hefty cost of those access times, and you're not going to completely eliminate the spinning until you get rid of the disc.
 

·
Programmer
Joined
·
28,696 Posts
Nice one mate. Glad it's going to be a sticky. You worked hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,346 Posts
There should be a conclusion/results to this review so people who can't read tables and graphs can understand. I am just throwing it out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragsters View Post
There should be a conclusion/results to this review so people who can't read tables and graphs can understand. I am just throwing it out there.
I agree. You need to simplify your results because scrolling up and down to compare is a PITA.

Also any reason you don't state an opinion about how everything compares? I'm interested in hearing it.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
32,827 Posts
Try some real world tests like load times or copy times. You won't see anywhere near that improvement.

Short-stroking looks nice on synthetic benches that use the entire volume, but it does very little for real world performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Try some real world tests like load times or copy times. You won't see anywhere near that improvement.

Short-stroking looks nice on synthetic benches that use the entire volume, but it does very little for real world performance.

Amen to that!!! You are 100% correct!

Sounds like you understand what is actually going on here, unlike others who just look at the benchmarks and go wow! No need to Short-stoke the drives.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top