Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I am probably one of the least knowledgeable persons following this thread. I tend to agree with shortstroking as being beneficial. Even if it is not that much of a benefit in real world applications(which I think it is)it certainly makes a difference when one needs to restore or format and reinstall the OS.
Not losing everything else due to formatting the whole drive is in my view a great benefit.

Just my view. Feel free to correct me if you like.

·
Just another nerd
5,906 Posts
I'm running a 50GB 10% short-stroked 500GB WD. It's very fast, even to the point that I've decided to delay getting an SSD for a while longer until prices come down a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seakros View Post
Well, just to add my two measly cents:
I am actually going to support Wishmaker.
Although I concede that benches show that short-stroked HDD's are faster, in my experience and understanding, it does not really make a difference. I actually tested the difference with a timer some time ago (lol, yea, I know, ghetto). I had my family rig setup with a single large partition, timed the boot up and the loading times of a couple of games (repeated it another time just for certainty) and wrote down the results.

I then used GParted to make my partitions smaller (just to the very limit of what I was using, maybe 50MB spare) and rebooted for the timings. After loading Windows and the same couple of games a couple of times, I checked the times... and they were virtually identical. I think that I even had a result where the slowest short-stroked time was slower than the fastest regular time.

Anyway, this made more or less sense to me, because if I recall, when GParted made my partition smaller, it basically took 10 secs to do it. It didn't move any files, it just placed the delimiter of how much space was allocated to the partition to a earlier spot on the HDD.
See, you already know why this didn't make a difference. Short-stroking forces a hard drive to only use the fast parts of its storage space. It has a secondary benefit of keeping all the data within easy reach, which eliminates the lengthier seek times. That's it. It doesn't actually make a hard drive faster, it just removes the slow bits, which improves the average speed.

The reason a short-stroked OS drive is nice is because the read heads are always in the vicinity of the OS files. They aren't looking at lolcat pictures in the slow zone.

·
Premium Member
12,297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyb
View Post

I am probably one of the least knowledgeable persons following this thread. I tend to agree with shortstroking as being beneficial. Even if it is not that much of a benefit in real world applications(which I think it is)it certainly makes a difference when one needs to restore or format and reinstall the OS.
Not losing everything else due to formatting the whole drive is in my view a great benefit.

Just my view. Feel free to correct me if you like.

You can partition the drive without short stroking to give the same benefit of being able to format part of the drive

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:

That's the main reason I went with a seperate OS drive many moons ago.

Even before the small OS drives (Raptors) became fashionable I'd short stroke a larger drive. It wasn't called short stroking at the time, just partitioning the first 80-100GB of the drive and letting the remainder unused.

After the origional Raptors came out there was no need to partition and waste space.

The origional reason for running a seperate OS drive was because I'm completely self taught on computers and have never been shy about pushing a button just to see what it would do.

I've probably screwed-up @ 9 zillion Windows installs and still keep a fresh copy of Vista loaded on a seperate drive and ready to go.....just in case!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Great info for people looking to speed up seeks and reads. +rep

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
I completley forgot to shortstroke my raid 0 setup here..

Im wondering though.. with windows 7 pro, a few Halflife Games on Steam, Warhammer online. How much space should I allow myself =?

I was thinking 100 - 125gb ?

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
how do you short stroke a raid0 before you install an os on it, is there a free tool that i can use in dos, also i have 2 500gb hds, how big of a partition should i make, i only like 150-200GB. and if i understand correctly i just need to make a partition for the size i need and it will automatically use the outer section?

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
so here is an update, i have this 320gb 2.5" seagate hd laying around, and today i was messing around short stoking it. the best result i got from it was a .2 sec drop in access time, everything else stayed the same +- 5MB in transfer rate. i used partition magic to short stoke it, i tried it at the beginning and at the end of the drive, tried 64/32/16k cluster size. first tried 30gb partition then 10gb partition. speed stayed the same every time, i used hdtune 2.55 free ed., i dont know maybe i'm doing something wrong here. also when i short stroked my raid 0 setup i only got a 3 sec if not less drop in access time.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vi3t_boy
View Post

thanks for the guide. my access time went from 12.5ms to 7ms. very impressive.

In real world terms, how important is that 5.5ms? 12.5ms seems pretty good to me...

You're getting things loading up 5.5ms faster then or is that 5.5ms multiplied over the course of a load session to the individual items which you're loading? I'm not understanding the real world results that such a small change in access time would endow.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehStone View Post
In real world terms, how important is that 5.5ms? 12.5ms seems pretty good to me...
It's massive! It's over 40% reduction, and (as any owner of an SSD can validate) access times actually have a far more significant impact on overall system performance.
..a

·
Registered
222 Posts
couple of quick questions from me :x
Ive just setup two 1tb f3 samsungs in raid 0, gone for 64k stripe size, currently its one 2tb partion, 64k ntfs allocation thingies xD, ICH9R onboard, and windows 7 x64 :]

theres nothing on the drives at the moment, but i intend to use it for games mostly

but i guess i should make a smallish partion for swap file, and scratch disk purposes (photoshop)...
Ive got 8gig of ddr2 ram, and the old rule of thumb was 2.5 x the amount of ram, right ?

should i use a different stripe/allocation size for the swap file partion ?
and its perfectly ok to make the adjustments in the windows disk/storage thingy thats buried in control panel?

41 - 60 of 125 Posts