Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imrac
View Post

short stroking is awesome, my 2 500gb F3s raid 0. Thought I would bump the thread =)

I've ordered 2 of the spinpoint F3s for Raid0, is the first partition (stroke) the best performance one?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eflyguy
View Post

Read the original post. The outer portion of the platter has the highest transfer rate.
..a

My question was if the first partition (the first you create) was the best performance (located in the outter portion), and I asked because in the original post in says "In almost every case...":

Quote:

Originally Posted by eflyguy
View Post

...In almost every case, the first partition on a drive will always be located at the outer edges of the platters.

So I was asking a person with the same drives than me to be sure. Thanks for the input btw =)

EDIT: Yeah, but kinda messed up things with partition/portion/stroke Y.Y, english not my first language.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imrac View Post
Just double checked, it is the case with my drives/motherboard combo.

Thank you very much Imrac !

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Chimera View Post
My question was if the first partition (the first you create) was the best performance (located in the outter portion), and I asked because in the original post in says "In almost every case...":

So I was asking a person with the same drives than me to be sure. Thanks for the input btw =)

EDIT: Yeah, but kinda messed up things with partition/portion/stroke Y.Y, english not my first language.
Just to clear this up -

The location of the platters is not drive specific, the first platter created will always be on the outer edge of the platters, and will thus be the fastest one.

However, if you create a partition (or array in your RAID BIOS), then create a second partition, then delete the first and boot into Windows (or your OS of choice), the first partition that Windows see will not be in the optimal place on the platters.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,688 Posts
i should do this to this laptop... the acess times are horrible as hell especially cause its a 5400 rpm drive

though i was smart... it came with a seagate, i put a 320gb WD in it

·
Registered
852 Posts
Can I short stroke without reinstalling simply by creating a partition with the Disk Management and moving the OS folders into that partition?

If so, which folders do I move to the small partition?

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post
i should do this to this laptop... the acess times are horrible as hell especially cause its a 5400 rpm drive

though i was smart... it came with a seagate, i put a 320gb WD in it
I did it to my laptop for two reasons

1. For performance! Better access times and to use the fastest part of the disk!
2. When I format and reinstall Windows, my stuff on the second partition stays put

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durdle Class A View Post
Can I short stroke without reinstalling simply by creating a partition with the Disk Management and moving the OS folders into that partition?

No, but you might be able to "Shrink" the partition you have Windows on now! Then make a second partition on the new unallocated space for storage

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Durdle Class A View Post

No, but as the ACHILEE5 said you should be able to "Shrink" the partition in Disk Management, if you're using Win 7 (maybe also in Vista?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post
I did it to my laptop for two reasons

1. For performance! Better access times and to use the fastest part of the disk!
2. When I format and reinstall Windows, my stuff on the second partition stays put

No, but you might be able to "Shrink" the partition you have Windows on now! Then make a second partition on the new unallocated space for storage

+1
If Shrinking doesn't work well enough, use a hardcore defrag program to consolidate the files onto the first part of the disk before shrinking.

·
Oh Harro
674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDreadedGMan View Post
+1
If Shrinking doesn't work well enough, use a hardcore defrag program to consolidate the files onto the first part of the disk before shrinking.
This

If you are unable to shrink the partition in windows, use "GParted" Its a great utility (Linux based live CD).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok, I'm going to short stroke my Windows C: drive to 80 GB from 500 GB total size, is this too small for OS and other files or is it way more than enough?

And another question, when I select to short stroke when installing Windows 7, 80GB C: (OS Drive), 385GB D: (My Data Files), and the rest for Windows system reserved, my Program Files folder is still on the C: drive right? And it can't be moved to other partitions right? So when I install programs, I have to manually set the directory to be in my D: (Data) partition right?

Anything else that I should do after installing Windows with short stroked C: partition?

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Durdle Class A
View Post

Ok, I'm going to short stroke my Windows C: drive to 80 GB from 500 GB total size, is this too small for OS and other files or is it way more than enough?

And another question, when I select to short stroke when installing Windows 7, 80GB C: (OS Drive), 385GB D: (My Data Files), and the rest for Windows system reserved, my Program Files folder is still on the C: drive right? And it can't be moved to other partitions right? So when I install programs, I have to manually set the directory to be in my D: (Data) partition right?

Anything else that I should do after installing Windows with short stroked C: partition?

When installing Windows, make the first partition 80GB and 7 will make the 100MB partition! Then make the you other partition

Then install programs to C:\\ where they should be. Then they benefit from the Short Stroke!
And just use the other larger partition for Storage

That way all your programs will be in the fast lane on you HDD

So at least, that's what I did with my laptop

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
Sorry for bumping such an old thread. Has anyone used this, and if so, what are your results?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Don't have any graphs to show you, but yes, partitioning works effectively on traditional HDDs.
OS as the first & any other partitions after it in order of priority (speed).

101 - 120 of 125 Posts