Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was just lurking through some old threads and found one consulting RAID 0 and short stroking. Until I get a rig; I can't RAID as it's a laptop

Would I gain any benefit from short stroking or is it mainly for benchmarking your hard drive etc. / Will I notice the benefit?

HD Tune results:

The hard drive is only 160GB so would using 40GB give the best performance or can I use around 60GB to be safe?

Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
You can short stroke any mechanical disk.

You probably won't get as much benefit from your 5400rpm disk though, as the drop in seek time (which is what is actually reduced by short stroking) will be masked by the increased rotational latency of the slower disk. Having said that, as laptop drives are pretty slow in comparison to desktop drives, anything you can do to speed them up has to be a good thing...

As you can't get a second disk for storage though, you need to think whether you can actually live with the smaller storage volume. This is easy to fix on a desktop now storage is so cheap, but not really practical if you use your laptop on the go.

You could always try a 40 or 60GB partition and see if it feels any faster. Can't really offer any more advice than that I'm afraid.

• Rep+
Reactions: Daney

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, beast - Earned some rep

Might install Vista again for a bit to make Windows 7 seem even greater

During the installation, how much space should I allocate? 25% = 40GB. Can I use like 60GB too?

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
You CAN use what you like

For a laptop you are limited by only having a single HDD, so I would go slightly bigger than on a desktop (in terms of % disk space). It would make sense to start with say 60GB, and just expand your partition in Disk Management if you need more space later.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHAT IS GOING ON?!
I've lost performance!

Before I short-stroked:

After short-stroking:

I used the Windows Disk Manage feature to shrink my partition 90GB, so now I am running on a 60GB partition. I have also restarted my PC to see if that made a difference, but it didn't.

What have I done wrong?! Please help me

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Looks like you are benching the disk, not the partition. The drops in speed are probably due to OS accessing the disk, and are not something to worry about. Other than that everything is identical.

At least one of the benchmark programs will let you test a partition, but I can't remember which one of the top of my head. That should help put your mind at ease.

You could always boot the Seagate software (Seatools is the right one I think) and short stroke properly by changing the drive capacity. But that would be much harder to change if you decide you want more space later.

• Rep+
Reactions: Daney

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast
View Post

Looks like you are benching the disk, not the partition. The drops in speed are probably due to OS accessing the disk, and are not something to worry about. Other than that everything is identical.

At least one of the benchmark programs will let you test a partition, but I can't remember which one of the top of my head. That should help put your mind at ease.

You could always boot the Seagate software (Seatools is the right one I think) and short stroke properly by changing the drive capacity. But that would be much harder to change if you decide you want more space later.

Okay thanks
Nothing to worry about then?

Also, I have enabled Advanced Options and I can Download Firmware. Think I should? Or is it only going to damage my system?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Firmware for what? Your drive? And so you mean download as in from the drive (like a backup), or as an update?

Most of the time, updating firmware is not something you should do unless you are having problems. The manufacturer will usually say if you need to update firmware to prevent a future problem happening.

·
Overclocker
867 Posts
what short stroking does is you use the outside of the disk by making the partition about a third or less of the disk the speed of the disk passing the head is fastest at the edge of the disk. Disk drives read from the outer edge first you will notice in your HDtune shots that at the start the read write rate is highest and as the head gets closer to the centre of the disk the rate gradually goes down. You can still make a second partition with the rest of the disk for data storage there is no real reason to let the rest of the disk go to waste

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.