Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about doing that on my new Grado Sr225i's i got? Would i just cut at where I want, and attach a new plug or...

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rtop2
View Post

How would I go about doing that on my new Grado Sr225i's i got? Would i just cut at where I want, and attach a new plug or...

Well technically you could do that, but its cut from the top of the headphones where its attached to the drivers. Ive seen it done before. I'm not sure, but at the plug should be possible i guess but imo it would be harder. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think it would be easier as you do not have to open the actual headphone. Hmm, I am confused. Lol, thanks anyway.

·
Lep
1,384 Posts
I have shortened a headphone cable once. Since I have never done much soldering and have never re-cabled anything I thought the easiest thing would be to just cut the cable like you suggested and replace the plug.
I have carefully peeled off the plastic from the plug to see which wire goes where (tip, ring, sleeve), cut off the plug/shortened the cable to desired length, sleeved the cable and soldered a new plug back on. And it worked without any issues. Best to take some pics during the process just in case you need to go through the previous steps.

Headphone and its cable before the cable modification:

And afterwards:

• Rep+
Reactions: rtop2

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
You can do it that way, but I would highly recommend you just get them recabled with a shorter cable. If you do this yourself, it is safer to work on the plug end so you don't overheat the coils, but be sure you know which conductor is which so you don't wind up wiring them out of phase or in reverse polarity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts