Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an ASUS Radeon 5870. I was really surprised when it was able to overclock so well. I used MSI Afterburner and cranked it all the way up to 1000mhz with no problems. I ran MSI Kombustor flawlessly. My temps capped at around 68-70 when running the stress test. I am using 1250V. Would you guys recommend going higher than I currently am? Btw... When I try and increase my clocks by even 50 mhz, i crash.. (probably because I am not increasing voltage).

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm.. Will I notice any difference in performance? I mean. I guess the max I could get to would probably be like 1150-1200 mhz...

Off topic: Can you help me, I have a 9800 gt as well and I would love to be able to run it as phys x with my 5870.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cordawg92
View Post

hmm.. Will I notice any difference in performance? I mean. I guess the max I could get to would probably be like 1150-1200 mhz...

Off topic: Can you help me, I have a 9800 gt as well and I would love to be able to run it as phys x with my 5870.

Yes you will and just keep temps under 80C under stress testing

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Any suggestions to go farther? How much do increase my voltage by? and my core?

Intervals of 10 and run stress testing. Just watch temps when you increase the voltage.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Any suggestions to go farther? How much do increase my voltage by? and my core?

Hehe you're as fearful as I am. I've got mine to 1000MHz GPU on 1.200V, with 1300MHz memory (this was stock on my card). I'm also thinking of cranking it up a bit more, hmmm. What you should do is up the clock speed by 10MHz and test for stability. If it's stable, up it 10MHz more and re-test. Do this until you notice artifacts, then increase the voltage a bit and re-test. Once you've restabilised it, stop increasing the voltage and start increasing the clock speed by another 10MHz. Do this until you reach a maximum safe voltage (1.350V) or a decently high temperature (85°C while stress testing).

That said, I haven't done this yet, but I might - my temperatures are tremendously good!

Let me know how this goes if you're going for it. There's certainly no problem in doing so.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007
View Post

Hehe you're as fearful as I am. I've got mine to 1000MHz GPU on 1.200V, with 1300MHz memory (this was stock on my card). I'm also thinking of cranking it up a bit more, hmmm. What you should do is up the clock speed by 10MHz and test for stability. If it's stable, up it 10MHz more and re-test. Do this until you notice artifacts, then increase the voltage a bit and re-test. Once you've restabilised it, stop increasing the voltage and start increasing the clock speed by another 10MHz. Do this until you reach a maximum safe voltage (1.350V) or a decently high temperature (85°C while stress testing).

That said, I haven't done this yet, but I might - my temperatures are tremendously good!

Let me know how this goes if you're going for it. There's certainly no problem in doing so.

This

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
worry about voltage later, just increase core clock by 10mhz and run furmark for 3 minutes just try not to go above 80-85c

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kye7
View Post

worry about voltage later, just increase core clock by 10mhz and run furmark for 3 minutes just try not to go above 80-85c

Exactly, and please don't stress for twelve hours like some people would a CPU, hahaha. A GPU will only need three to five minutes to fully test for stability. No GPU will take hours on end of stress testing anyway, not the way GPUTool, ATITool or Furmark would stress it anyway.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
anything more then 1000 core requires crazy volts. Max I have seen with 1.35 volts is around 1050-1080. You can increase the voltage to 1.4 and still be safe.

increase core, test,stable, keep going, fail, up the v core and do that. Watch out for the V regs and what cooling method you using?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
anything more then 1000 core requires crazy volts.
Why do you say that? I don't have crazy volts on mine? lol. I actually had 1000 on 1200, and it had no problems, i just increased it to 1250 to be safe.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i dont know what the cooling is on that card, because i cant see it lol...

are there more fans underneath? or just that puny little one to the right of the card?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I would be careful...knocking up the volts to high on these cards can run the vrm temps REALLY high.

Im also sitting at 1000core 1250mem...I haven't tried to go much further cause the vrm temps get a pretty hot depending on what voltage your pumping through.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cordawg92 View Post
Well i am just pumping 1250 volts, 1200 mem and 1000core.. nothing crazy. My temps at idle are 37. Under load are 55
You have nothing to worry about with those temps

1 - 20 of 29 Posts