Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
40,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelsirchief View Post

I'm new to building pc, is it better than bought one? Btw, my name is Arnulfo and I want to say hi to all the members here.
smile.gif
Welcome to OCN

Yes you sould build your own

You can find help here on OCN for most of what you need to know and there are guides for pretty much everything on youtube as well

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Build one for sure. We all can help you; just give us some guidelines such as a budget and some of your preferences. Possibly your location too so we can see what parts are available for purchase in your area.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I recommend build one. You just must keep in mind though one thing. If you build it and something goes wrong, it's up to you to figure it out and fix it.
If you by a dell or something and something is not working it's on them.

I must say, it's easy to build a computer and I am sure you will take great pride in it! It is also easily addictive! You will want the greatest and best parts!
Good luck to what ever you choose. If you choose to build, there are a lot of great folks here that will help you trouble shoot any problems you run into.

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
There is something special about building your own PC. The sense of accomplishment is incredible. There is nothing wrong with just buying a system but I suggest at least once try to build one.

·
The Six Gun Caballero.
343 Posts
Welcome to OCN!

I think it's always better to build your own PC, cause you know exactly what's in your PC, so if you ever have problems with it, it'll help with diagnosing where the problem is coming from and you're not just left in the dark. Plus, it's always a lot more fun to build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar63 View Post

There is something special about building your own PC. The sense of accomplishment is incredible. There is nothing wrong with just buying a system but I suggest at least once try to build one.
This!

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Build your own. There are so many reasons why doing so is the superior choice to buying one pre-made, that I fear I might overwhelm you if I actually list them all.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ty all, seems like people are really helpful here. It is also obvious that I'll lean toward building it. Wish me luck! + rep to everyone.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
+1 for building your own. Firstly you will be able to pic the individual parts yourself (unlike some that are pre-made) and probably most of all it will give you a better understanding on how your PC works and it's limitations. Building PC today is easy as cables only go in 1 place and there is plenty of help in these forums if you get stuck. Just my
2cents.gif

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
The learning curve is not much really - common sense, and please do READ the manuals. And you have us here as well. Plenty of youtubes on how.

Suggest you have a look at them first and familiarize yourself with name parts etc. No hammers and a jemmy needed just think when you are tightening up screws on fragile environments like the motherboard etc

And welome to OCN
thumb.gif

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's easy, My know nothing about computers sister built her self a HTPC. The only thing she had to call me for was the 8 pin power cord on the motherboard. She had to snap to 4pins together. She loves it and has pride that she built it her self. Of course I picked the parts with her extremely low budget and I gave her a video card.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You will by far get a better bang for your buck building your own. I mean for 500 US Dollars you can build a halfway decent setup and for about a grand you can build something pretty solid. Also I have found some pretty good help here at OC when I am looking for a little info.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelsirchief View Post

Thank you all, I ordered all the parts.
Which parts and did you ask us about any of before you bought it?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Clearly you should buy o---- *gets tasered by the mods* okay okay! I was only kidding!

Seriously though, I STRONGLY advise building your own. For years people I knew told me it wasn't worth it and that building your own was more expensive than buying one and I spent 1000$ on a dell... That was the last system I would EVER buy. Since then I've been building my own systems for far less money with like 5x the performance and 500000x the reliability. My only regret is that I didn't get into building computers at an even younger age like I wanted.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like simple look and not too heavy, so I did my homework and ending up reading a lot of info here about components to build a pc the way I like it.

Case - Corsair 350D
Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS VI GENE LGA 1150 Intel Z87
CPU - i7 4770K
Memory - G. SKill Trident X series 16 GB (2 x 8gb) PC 19200
GPU - Leaning toward GTX 780 ( pending, need opinion.Convince me to not wait for 9970)
Power Supply - Seasonic G-750 SSR 750W ATX12V Gold Certified. (I might do 2 gpu in the future.)
Monitor - Pending, What resolution and brand to get?
CPU Cooler - What aftermarket heat sink I should buy to air cool my i7 4770K. (pending)

Keyboard, mice, and speaker will be bought local. I already ordered parts except the one with pending on it. Need more solid opinion on them.

It will be my first pc and the main use for it would be gaming, college homework, etc...etc....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts