Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Games are really starting to run slowly now as well as look awful, my 8600 just isn't holding up any more, and I don't have the cash for a new build. Are there any graphics cards out there that will dramatically increase performance and not get pulled down by the rest of my hardware? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
HD5770 will be a massive upgrade. 1gb version if you can afford.

You should of gotten a 8800gt instead of the 8600 when you bought that card ^^

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
overclock that cpu to 3ghz if possible, at stock speeds i dont see a 5770 increasing performance much on his machine.

5770 is still a good idea though, u can use it in this machine and use it again if you ever get a new computer. slowly buy new parts to slowly upgrade to a new pc

• Rep+
Reactions: Twig

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Yeah, there isnt really a GPU out there that wont be pulled down. But I would still recommend a 5770. Its a great card, and can handle just about anything. Not to mention, when you DO have money for a better build, you can take it with you.
Check out the Sapphire Vapor-X Edition.
Ive got one, and its wonderful.

• Rep+

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
if you can get a old generation series card like the ATI HD4800 series or a Nvidia GTX280 card unless you wanna jump to lastest and greatest you can. since most games use 2 cores but more are starting to FINALLY use more but yeah getting a HD5770 is like having a HD4870 but with DX11 support. i personally would hammer out a 5850 or equal of the nvidia cards. that way you wont have to upgrade for a while yet again...its how i like to do it

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
I second this. And if you are considering upgrading to 5870 from there don't.

Just XFire two 5770s and kick 5850 heinie and have just as good if not sometimes better than 5870 performance for less.

Check "Trade 5770..." in sig link for latest data on this.

~Ceadder

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:hybrid:.
View Post

HD5770 will be a massive upgrade. 1gb version if you can afford.

You should of gotten a 8800gt instead of the 8600 when you bought that card ^^

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
5770. that way you can take it with you when you upgrade.

failing that, an 8800GT or GTS 512, or 4850 would also do well as upgrades.

FWIW i used to have a similar system and put my 8800GT in it and sure, it was bottlenecked, but the performance jump was massive. go for it

• Rep+

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say a 4550, great value card imo, and prices falling as always if you look in the right places.

I wouldnt advise any upgrading atm as like the others said, it will more than likely bottleneck.

You don't have to save too much, maybe now an i7;p but perhaps a Dual Core 8600 or something overclockable.

good luck!!

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Look for a used 8800,9800 or any GT200 card after the gt250 from the Nvidia stable, or a 5770 from ATi.
I went from an 8500 to the BFG 8800GTS 512 in my sig rig recently, and the difference in games is almost night and day.
I would, however, recommend changing the PSU from the stock generic to something like the corsair CX400 or VX450 to power such a card reliably. ALternatively, get something really good in the way of power supplies, like the Antec TPN 550 or TP750 and keep it for your next machine

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes get some of these cards: Nvidia 9800GT,9800GTX/+,GTS 250 1GB Edition or ATi HD5770.

Any of these cards will be better than your current one.

I went from my 8600GTs to 8800GT 512MB & it was awesome,later i upgraded to GTX260.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts