Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
1,961 Posts
mATX is a dead form factor. There are less and less mATX motherboards and cases each year.

· Meep
5,578 Posts
Can I still use a standard sized PSU with ITX or does ITX require a special ITX sized PSU in general ?
There are quite a few ITX cases that can use full size (ATX) PSU's, but most are moving over to SFX/SFX-L, PSU's since they're much smaller and can provide plenty of power anyway(up to 750W/800W). Even some of the smaller ATX cases use SFX power supplies these days.

Also do they usually make more parts like motherboards for example for MICRO-ATX then ITX ?
mATX is indeed dead, there are hardly any boards, let alone any good ones.

For some more info about small form factor cases here's some more info:

The essential sff spreadsheet, its has lists with cases, coolers, etc. and all the specs you need:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ftDiVudVc8CJ8sxLUqlxVsCz4/edit#gid=1459265577

The sff forum and subreddit:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/new/

The SFF community on here has pretty much moves to either or both these places, I'd really advice checking them out.

· Registered
828 Posts

· Avid Memer
5,974 Posts
ITX has much more support than mATX. It's the main contributing factor to why I went ITX. I considered the mDTX Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Impact, but the prohibitive price turned me off.

There's ITX cases that accept ATX power supplies. My SilverStone FTZ01-E is one, but I opted for an SFX PSU because reviews recommended it for extra cable management room. Going for an SFF build is kind of backwards compared to a traditional ATX build. You need to settle on a case then pick compatible components. Decide what's important to you in terms of volume, footprint, and features and get a case that fulfills all that for a price you can afford.

· 46 Cans of Ravioli
36,844 Posts
there's plenty of mATX boards, the problem is good mATX boards :p

· Avid Memer
5,974 Posts
True, there's very few enthusiast mATX options. They're all budget oriented and don't appeal to the enthusiast audience. It would be nice to see mATX boards comparable to the enthusiast ITX boards.

· Meep
5,578 Posts
I think the biggest issue is that mATX just doesn't save that much space over ATX with how case designs have progressed. I you comparte similarly capable ATX and mATX cases, there's hardly much size difference between them.

Now if motherboard makers would drop the full width Matx standard and move to the narrow one(now only used on the cheapest of boards) I think it could still make sense. Ass you still retain a lot of PCIe expansion but with a significantly smaller board.

I'd also like to see DTX getting a lot more popular.

· Registered
828 Posts
The biggest issue with matx is most matx cases are no smaller and still use ATX supplies.

As far as ITX you can use an ATX PSU and case and yes there are even low profile cases - like the SG13 - that are designed for exactly that. However most of your very slim cases will only take a SFX or SFX-L supplies. So yes you can use an ATX supply but only if the case supports it.

Advantages of ITX:
  • allows very small portable case designs, with an SFX supply and NVME M2 drives the entire PC can be very compact
  • overall they are in general better motherboards with features like built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
  • there is a certain satisfaction in building a good gaming PC in the smallest possible case
Disadvantages of ITX:
  • no extra PCIE slots and only two ram slots
  • heat can be an issue in small cases if you overclock
  • the biggest SFX supplies are around 750 watt
  • smaller cases are harder to build as a lot of things (big tower coolers for example) just do not fit and cable routing and good build technique are more critical

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.