Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a LAN PC. Local friends want to hit up some CS:GO LAN tournaments (especially the OCN one in Toronto
biggrin.gif
) but I won't be able to carry around my build. It's too big to lug around.

So, I'm curious as to where I should go from here. I'm not sure if an upgrade is totally warranted (I want my PC to run future games at a good FPS on high settings). Should I just switch my motherboard to and mATX and keep my 8350/7870? Or should I part with my build and create a new Intel build?

Also, for reference, I do plan to build my LAN PC in a Thermaltake Core V21 case with a water cooling loop for the CPU and GPU.

Any suggestions would be lovely. Work has been so hectic lately that I'm not quite sure if new hardware will be released soon in the new year or what!

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkamore View Post

I want to build a LAN PC. Local friends want to hit up some CS:GO LAN tournaments (especially the OCN one in Toronto
biggrin.gif
) but I won't be able to carry around my build. It's too big to lug around.

So, I'm curious as to where I should go from here. I'm not sure if an upgrade is totally warranted (I want my PC to run future games at a good FPS on high settings). Should I just switch my motherboard to and mATX and keep my 8350/7870? Or should I part with my build and create a new Intel build?

Also, for reference, I do plan to build my LAN PC in a Thermaltake Core V21 case with a water cooling loop for the CPU and GPU.

Any suggestions would be lovely. Work has been so hectic lately that I'm not quite sure if new hardware will be released soon in the new year or what!
How frequent would these LANs be? I'm just wondering so I'll know how powerful your rig should be, that would determine my recommendation.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sikkamore

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAS1000 View Post

How frequent would these LANs be? I'm just wondering so I'll know how powerful your rig should be, that would determine my recommendation.
Not sure. There are also LAN events in Quebec so they could be regular. Also, the small form factor would help my bedroom to be honest! My room is full of consoles and stuff haha

Furthermore, I'd like to wish a Merry Christmas to everyone here at OCN
smile.gif

·
2,243 Posts
Quote:

Not sure. There are also LAN events in Quebec so they could be regular. Also, the small form factor would help my bedroom to be honest! My room is full of consoles and stuff haha

Furthermore, I'd like to wish a Merry Christmas to everyone here at OCN
smile.gif
Merry Christmas my Good man. What I had in mind was an Ellite 110 and an ITX 970 or maybe a 26)X or something, with a locked i5. the absolute smallest you could get for a gaming rig (pr maybe not, but its pretty small)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Merry Christmas my Good man. What I had in mind was an Ellite 110 and an ITX 970 or maybe a 26)X or something, with a locked i5. the absolute smallest you could get for a gaming rig (pr maybe not, but its pretty small)
I'm going to look up the dimensions of the Thermaltake Core V21 case. If that's too big then I'll grab an Elite 110. I was hoping to go with a wc loop though. That's why the V21 is so appealing to me at the moment. Small form with lots of options for cooling.

Edit: After actually pulling out a measurement tape and looking at the dimensions of the V21 it does seem rather bulky for a LAN PC. :/

·
2,243 Posts
Quote:

I'm going to look up the dimensions of the Thermaltake Core V21 case. If that's too big then I'll grab an Elite 110. I was hoping to go with a wc loop though. That's why the V21 is so appealing to me at the moment. Small form with lots of options for cooling.
If you don't mind going a bit unorthodox you could try a loop in the Node 304. Single 140 + Dual 92. its not easy to fit though.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

If you don't mind going a bit unorthodox you could try a loop in the Node 304. Single 140 + Dual 92. its not easy to fit though.
I'll look into that case and see if I can make that work. Initially it does look like it'd be a very tight fit lol

·
2,243 Posts
Quote:

I'll look into that case and see if I can make that work. Initially it does look like it'd be a very tight fit lol
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts