Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently moved to South Korea and brought my computer monitor with me. The problem is that it is a Haier 19'' screen and the voltage required on the back apparently only goes up to 110 volts which is surprising to me because I was under the impression that most monitors could handle 220 volts. I'm looking to buy a converter so that I don't ruin my monitor and am wondering should I purchase a 50 watt converter or a 100 watt converter. I just plugged it into my outlet with my adapter and it turned on fine, but I don't want to risk ruining the monitor so I took it out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you really want to figure it out check the amount of amps it draws on the back of the TV. (If it has it) Remember:

Watts = Amps * Volts. So to figure out what you need you'll do: Amps * 120

I suspect though that the panel uses less than 100 watts, so I'd just get that one to be safe. Most of the time the converters have some sort of fail safe in them so if you are over drawing it they will just shut off.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
I'd think most 19" monitors, even those older types with CCFL backlights (as opposed to LED) should be well under 50W, especially if not at max brightness.

Why don't you see if you can find anything on the monitor's power consumption (or equivalently for our purposes, the current) from say a manual or product page?

For what it's worth, if you plugged in and turned it on, and the electronics aren't supposed to handle ~220V, you already damaged it to some degree.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts