Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've heard that benchmarks are showing that prices are going to drop for the 5000 series once Fermi is release. Should I buy a 5850 now or wait for Fermi to release?

Edit: Just purchased an OB 5850 from Newegg for $220. Lets say that the prices of the 5000 series drop when Fermi release, will it be a drastic one? Say, maybe 30-50 dollars?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
buy the 5850, doesnt seem like fermi will be anything special from whats been going around on the forums. find an open box on newegg for about $220 shipped.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,089 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyCang View Post
Hey guys, I've heard that benchmarks are showing that prices are going to drop for the 5000 series once Fermi is release. Should I buy a 5850 now or wait for Fermi to release?

Thanks
The benchmarks aren't telling us a thing about potential price drops. If I were you I would go ahead and snag a 5850 if you can find a deal on one.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,242 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Spritanium
View Post

Fermi is a lie. Go ATI and never look back.

you troll. everyone should just stop talking about fermi till it comes out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
^ benchmarks don't say whether the price will drop or not..

seems you've only gotten feedback from ati owners

i'd say unless you desperately need it (which, unfortunately judging by your sig.. you do).. just wait a bit more.

whether or not you wanna go ati or nvidia is irrelevant.. truth is, prices WILL shift a bit once fermi is out for a couple of weeks.. as well as some decent benchmarks.
make your final decision based on that.. need, price vs performance etc.
saying that, nvidia will have two cards out, whereas ati has basically every corner of the market covered with eleven cards out.

last gen nvidia cards will also significantly drop.. so you could snatch up a gtx -whatever to suit your needs.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
If you get a good enough deal, get a 5850 ($260 is good). But, since you have waited this long, you might as well wait and see what Nvidia has to offer this time around.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,028 Posts
you could wait for the 6000 series. they might come out later this year!
if you dont want to wait, buy 5850. i suggest waiting to see what nvidia has to offer. prices may drop so i would wait.
i highly suggest 5850 and staying away from fermi unless they fix it up to be cheaper/more efficient
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Personally I would go with the ati 5850 or 5870. The current benchmarks show Fermi only slightly faster then ati's 5870 at 2560x1600, and only in the minimum fps(less then 1fps dif at average). It's safe to say that the Fermi will be a little faster after it is releassed with a few driver updates. Sadly I don't think its fast enough the justify the price (gtx480=$599 est*, gtx 470=$499 est*). Not to mention they will draw nearly 300 watts of power. However this is just estimates and benchmarks based on beta drivers(or are just fake benchmarks??)

Here is a collection of "benchmarks". It shows the gtx 470 is slower then the 5870 just slightly and that the gtx 480 is 10-15% faster, but is that worth the aditional $100-200 for them?

Personally I think if you go with the 5850 you'll be happy , assuming your not planing on maxing out every game at over 1920x1080. However it wouldnt hurt to wait a few weeks for the gtx 4x0 series to be released. There might be a few price drops on ati's series, or who knows. Maybe the Fermi will surprise us all and be much faster then ati? I doubt it but you never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
im not a pro and also looking to get card but i think when this fermi finally drops ati prices wont change for a while. maybe not for a month or 2 or even 3. when fermi drops its gonna be hit with bugs and it'll take them a few weeks to correct them with driver updates. just like most cards...
being a casual gamer im looking to getting a 57xx card but dont want to pay over $140 shipped.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,089 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by s0d0mg0m0rrah
View Post

^ benchmarks don't say whether the price will drop or not..

seems you've only gotten feedback from ati owners

i'd say unless you desperately need it (which, unfortunately judging by your sig.. you do).. just wait a bit more.

whether or not you wanna go ati or nvidia is irrelevant.. truth is, prices WILL shift a bit once fermi is out for a couple of weeks.. as well as some decent benchmarks.
make your final decision based on that.. need, price vs performance etc.
saying that, nvidia will have two cards out, whereas ati has basically every corner of the market covered with eleven cards out.

last gen nvidia cards will also significantly drop.. so you could snatch up a gtx -whatever to suit your needs.


we still aren't sure how fermi will be priced, and if there will be any sort of supply issues (nvidia has hinted there will be). i also dont know why you think last gen nvidia cards will significantly drop, considering this usually doesn't happen and didn't happen with the 4000 series. they just stop making them.

to say you know prices will drop is simply impossible. you are presuming to have information which only nvidia and ati can have.

edit: there is also the issue with rising gddr5 prices
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,189 Posts
I say buy now if your waiting for fermi its gonna be probly late april befor they get enugh of them to find at a decent price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
I'd wait for Fermi, it's either going to beat the 5000 series cheaper (though so far that's not the case) or match the 5000 series (seems to be the actual case) which may cause ATi's prices to drop, either way your either gonna have Fermi, or a drop in price on the HD5850/70

That said, bear in mind that it is highly unlikely that Fermi will turn out to truly beat the 5000 series in anything except for nVidia specific technologies, and due to more VRAM, very high resolutions (like 2560x1440), and at the same time the 5000 series has been out for a while, so problems you might have, have already been solved, there's tons of support and experience out there and there are a couple cool special editions out now as well with better cooling out of the box, we also already know that they are incredibly overclockable, it seems like nothing to get these guys to 1000/1200, sometimes on stock cooling.

If it were me I'd get the 5000 series but I'd wait until Fermi was released, just to see if that slim chance turns out to be right that the prices will drop.

Finally, think about it, Fermi has had some rushed production here at the end, I am a little leary about their reliability and potential problems here in the get-go, I guess only time will tell.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
I'd have to say there will be a price drop even if it's not much when Fermi is released, If you can get it cheaper now somewhere then go for it otherwise just wait.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,050 Posts
Honestly I think ATI knows a lot of people are holding out untill Fermi is released. So why do a price drop when demand is high? Not only that, Fermi is new. So if there's any priced dropping, it would be the latest NV cards just to make room for the new card, and maybe $5-10 drops in all the older ones. Personally I think we won't see any huge price drop in any ATI cards for 3-6 months after Fermi's release because of all this drama.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
Quote:


we still aren't sure how fermi will be priced, and if there will be any sort of supply issues (nvidia has hinted there will be). i also dont know why you think last gen nvidia cards will significantly drop, considering this usually doesn't happen and didn't happen with the 4000 series. they just stop making them.

to say you know prices will drop is simply impossible. you are presuming to have information which only nvidia and ati can have.

i don't doubt there will be shortages.
i'm basing my assumption on how it's been in australia.. when the ati 5 series came out.. pricing of the 4 series remaining in stock dropped a fair bit (again, this is in sydney at local and online stores) same with the 9 series from nvidia when 200 came out.
whether this was an official price drop or stores trying to get rid of stock, or whatever it may of been, i don't know.

when a product is being phased out and replaced by a newer model.. generally, pricing of the older technology will drop. i don't make the rules


either way, ati or nvidia.. as long as it does the job for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SillyCang
View Post

Hey guys, I've heard that benchmarks are showing that prices are going to drop for the 5000 series once Fermi is release. Should I buy a 5850 now or wait for Fermi to release?

Edit: Just purchased an OB 5850 from Newegg for $220. Lets say that the prices of the 5000 series drop when Fermi release, will it be a drastic one? Say, maybe 30-50 dollars?

Thanks

Your Processor might be holding you back a bit, mate.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top