Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I posted in the wrong sub-forum.

Well, I have a total of 5 fans and wondering if I should use a fan controller. Tell me if you need anymore information.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
yes you should they are very good and give you control without having to open your case.also you can change the airflow during hot or cold conditions or if your gaming when everybody else is asleep.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxextz View Post
yes you should they are very good and give you control without having to open your case.also you can change the airflow during hot or cold conditions or if your gaming when everybody else is asleep.
well, I will be having 2 fans in Push/Pull in East/West position on for my Mugen2. Can you recommend me a fan controller from Microcenter or Frys? Because I cannot order online.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Any offering friom SunBeam (Rheobus, Rhebus Extreme) will do nicely.

The Zalman MFC-1 Plus is also a fine controller, but the wattage is only 7W (iirc)

If there are Lamptron controllers available, then one of those would also to nicely.

I would take a look at the specs on the packaging and ensure that the wattage meets your specific requirements.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Unless you have some wierd phobia of a little noise, or somehow that anyone would be woke up by FANS, maybe you should get quieter fans rather than a controller, because i run all my fans at 100%, to be honest, its not loud, you want to hear loud, go to a nhra race. With the 7 fans i have running and 3 of them are AP-15s and the other a delta, i dont see a need for it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Any offering friom SunBeam (Rheobus, Rhebus Extreme) will do nicely.

The Zalman MFC-1 Plus is also a fine controller, but the wattage is only 7W (iirc)

If there are Lamptron controllers available, then one of those would also to nicely.

I would take a look at the specs on the packaging and ensure that the wattage meets your specific requirements.
Wow! Nice reccommendations! Rep+

Quote:

Originally Posted by codejunki View Post
Unless you have some wierd phobia of a little noise, or somehow that anyone would be woke up by FANS, maybe you should get quieter fans rather than a controller, because i run all my fans at 100%, to be honest, its not loud, you want to hear loud, go to a nhra race. With the 7 fans i have running and 3 of them are AP-15s and the other a delta, i dont see a need for it.
Well, I am not entirely up-to-par with fans. Don't know much about CFM and the like but I do know that I have fans that have high CFM with low DBA. Rep+

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by codejunki View Post
7 fans at full speed????your deaf.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,037 Posts
I don't know what Microcenter or Fry's has available, but I can tell you this. Fan controllers are not "must have" items by any means, but they are very nice to have. I use a Lamptron FC4 to keep my Scythe 110CFM slipstreams in check. I don't always need the power (or noise) these fans provide, but it's great to be able to crank them up for gaming/benching/folding, and then shut them up while watching a movie or doing homework.

The bottom line: I wouldn't skimp on a primary component just to have enough cash for a fan controller, but if I had an extra $30 or so, I'd gladly purchase one. I'd consider it low on the priority list though.

• Rep+
Reactions: jetplane48

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Fan controllers are nice when it comes to making your system quieter. Also allows you to crank them back up to 100% of your stress testing or benchmarking or gaming. Most fan controllers have knobs that pertrude out of the front panel, so if your pc had a 'door' on the front, make sure that you have room behind it or that you can take it off. I had to take the door off my cosmos because I have a fan controller and a volume knob. Just a heads up.

• Rep+
Reactions: jetplane48

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob808 View Post
Fan controllers are nice when it comes to making your system quieter. Also allows you to crank them back up to 100% of your stress testing or benchmarking or gaming. Most fan controllers have knobs that pertrude out of the front panel, so if your pc had a 'door' on the front, make sure that you have room behind it or that you can take it off. I had to take the door off my cosmos because I have a fan controller and a volume knob. Just a heads up.
rep+ I do have extra money on me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
I don't know what Microcenter or Fry's has available, but I can tell you this. Fan controllers are not "must have" items by any means, but they are very nice to have. I use a Lamptron FC4 to keep my Scythe 110CFM slipstreams in check. I don't always need the power (or noise) these fans provide, but it's great to be able to crank them up for gaming/benching/folding, and then shut them up while watching a movie or doing homework.
Repped also.
The bottom line: I wouldn't skimp on a primary component just to have enough cash for a fan controller, but if I had an extra $30 or so, I'd gladly purchase one. I'd consider it low on the priority list though.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
I did not note a budget, so here are some controllers that might suit yer fancy:

·
Why is it smoking?
4,037 Posts
Quote:
I like Lamptron, but I'm not too sure about that controller. You only have high, medium, or off for speeds, and the LED's change color based on the setting (which would look funny IMO). I actually tune each of my fans to where they are barely audible while doing homework or watching movies, and I don't think that would be possible with the controller you linked.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

I did not note a budget, so here are some controllers that might suit yer fancy:

I was looking at the 3rd one earlier. I like it because it will match the CM Scouts theme and also, it has 5 ports. So Thank you very much Syrillian! So much help today! repped.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo
View Post

I like Lamptron, but I'm not too sure about that controller. You only have high, medium, or off for speeds, and the LED's change color based on the setting (which would look funny IMO). I actually tune each of my fans to where they are barely audible while doing homework or watching movies, and I don't think that would be possible with the controller you linked.

What controller are you using? I'd like to do the same you are doing with having control to fine tune each one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts