Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Thinking of buying a Kindle Fire for the wife. Anyone that has one.... What do you think of it. Do you like it. All she gonna do is surf the web, facebook and watch chinese movie on it(flash video)Why or why not. Should I buy it? Why or why not.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's a great little device for browsing the internet and reading books definitely. However, just make sure you don't have any expectation that it's going to be a full-fledged tablet because it is certainly not. However, I bought one for my mother for Christmas and she loves it. She also had no experience with touchscreen devices before using it and didn't have too hard of a time. I have not tried watching videos on it but I'm sure it works alright. Oh, and there are a ton of accessories and different styles of cases and such which is a big plus for ladies who want all their stuff to match and whatnot
thumb.gif

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the quick reply. Now does anyone have any experience with a rooted Fire and how is it? Is it worth it to buy and root put cm on there? And how easy/hard is it to root and por android on there

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I like mine.

A rooted fire is very good, but after you flash it it slows down quite a bit (in my own experience). Im going to flash mine back to stock firmware, then re-root it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I bought a Kindle Fire the other day and I really like the way it performs. It is a great tablet for the money. It streams movies from Amazon Prime very good. You will realize that if you find a app you like on Amazon it may not let you load it though. For instance, I like Firefox and Dolphin HD browser but Amazon will not allow you to download those to it. There is a way to load apps Amazon will not let you though.
All you have to do is download the apps apk file and then side load it onto your Kindle Fire from your PC. Just create a file on your Kindle Fire and move the apk file there. Also be sure to get "ES File Explorer" from Amazon before you do this so you can access the apk files and search the flash drive within the Kindle Fire. Then when you locate the apk from within the file you created to save it in, just install it. Very simple to work around Amazon from blocking apps. I found many apps I wanted online and side loaded them to my Kindle Fire. If you are looking for a decent inexpensive tablet with minimal features, the Kindle Fire is the way to go. Since the Kindle Fire does not support adding memory and only comes with 8 GB, the best way to expand your access to files larger than the Kindle Fire allows is to get a cloud account outside Amazon you can use. Also, all media you download from Amazon is stored on Amazon's cloud service for free; regardless of the amount. Yet, any manual media content you add to your Kindle will take up the 8gb space very quickly. I got 25 gb of cloud storage from Microsoft for free on Skydrive, so I am storing content from there to access beyond the Kindle Fire's limitations.
The Kindle is a great product and your wife will like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts