1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I bought borderlands 2 (ofcourse
tongue.gif
) really like the physx effects with the grenades etc. so i'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy a cheap 2nd hand 20-30 euro card (think about gts 210, 8400GS, 9400GT, geforce 405, geforce 315) with overclocking, would it be enough/ worth it to buy one. and with worth it I mean, would the performance be enough to run borderlands 2 physx only as dedicated physx card, with my 6870 as primary?

thanks in advance
thumb.gif

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticcow View Post

no physx only works with nividia cards
That's why I want to buy a dedicated physx card....
tongue.gif

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticcow View Post

A 6870 is an ATI card so it cannot use physx
I know, that's why I want to buy a Nvidia card and place it next to my ati card and with some driver mods (did it before) I want the nvidia card do all the phisX work, but for that I need a Nvidia card next to my ATI.... so I need to buy one, becouse I have a ATI and ATI doesnt support physx so I need a extra "dedicated" physx card, clear?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
I'm not all that worried about the PhysX aspect of the game myself. But that's just me. Borderlands 2 is going to be a great game, regardless if you use PhysX or not.

It is 110% up to YOU if you feel you need another $100+ investment just to play ONE game. You need a GTS 450 or higher for it to be worthwhile. And even then, your HD6870 is about on par with a GTX 460 (not much higher than the 450). It would honestly almost be a waste of money, when you could crossfire your 6870 instead for the same price.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
I've got a GTX260 in my system for physx, mainly for BL2 really but that's only because I had one laying around. If it's a game you're wanting to enjoy as much as possible then go for it!

I like how a couple of people above didn't even read your post before commenting.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4dowH4ze View Post

hey guys,

tongue.gif
) really like the physx effects with the grenades etc. so i'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy a cheap 2nd hand 20-30 euro card (think about gts 210, 8400GS, 9400GT, geforce 405, geforce 315) with overclocking, would it be enough/ worth it to buy one. and with worth it I mean, would the performance be enough to run borderlands 2 physx only as dedicated physx card, with my 6870 as primary?

thanks in advance
thumb.gif
The 210, 9400gt, and 8400gs won't even run physx.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droogie View Post

Quote:

hey guys,

tongue.gif

thanks in advance
thumb.gif
The 210, 9400gt, and 8400gs won't even run physx.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Like I stated, a GTS 450 (or GTS 250) would be bare minimum. Well, at least for it to be a worthwhile investment. Bare minimum is actually an 8600GT, but that card actually slows the game down worse than if you run PhysX off your CPU.

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulgence View Post

i believe the 9800gt can.
Again, technically anything 8600GT, 9500GT, GT220 and higher "can" run PhysX (32 CUDA cores). However for it to be a worthwhile card to use, you want a GTS 250 or equivilant, or higher.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post

I've got a GTX260 in my system for physx, mainly for BL2 really but that's only because I had one laying around. If it's a game you're wanting to enjoy as much as possible then go for it!
I like how a couple of people above didn't even read your post before commenting.
yeah it cracked me up the 2nd time ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

I'm not all that worried about the PhysX aspect of the game myself. But that's just me. Borderlands 2 is going to be a great game, regardless if you use PhysX or not.
It is 110% up to YOU if you feel you need another $100+ investment just to play ONE game. You need a GTS 450 or higher for it to be worthwhile. And even then, your HD6870 is about on par with a GTX 460 (not much higher than the 450). It would honestly almost be a waste of money, when you could crossfire your 6870 instead for the same price.
so a cheap 9600 would be too lightweight to do the physx
frown.gif
, and yeah really exited about the game, I looooved borderlands1.

also, I know that this question is inpossible to awnser, becouse the game isnt even out yet, but one could estamate if a cheap card can handle it if one knows how much recorces physx uses ;P

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post

yeah it cracked me up the 2nd time ;P
Quote:

so a cheap 9600 would be too lightweight to do the physx
frown.gif
, and yeah really exited about the game, I looooved borderlands1.

also, I know that this question is inpossible to awnser, becouse the game isnt even out yet, but one could estamate if a cheap card can handle it if one knows how much recorces physx uses ;P
You can try a cheap card like a GT 240, 8800GT, 9800GT (or faster). Mafia II did pretty well with a GT240 and HD4890 to be perfectly honest. Framerates were right around 30 or so on average, but with PhysX disabled it was 60+. Once I stepped into a GTX 470 it was 60+ with PhysX (just on the 470).

I think a GT240, 8800GT, 9800GT as a "minimum" would technically "work", but you will be holding your 6870 back by the weaker PhysX card. If you're okay with a lower than what you SHOULD have framerate, then by all means, go for a cheaper card.

I still say though, that its a complete waste of money personally. I've played PhysX titles with PhysX on and off enough to know, that if you're into the game...you're not going to miss those effects anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

You can try a cheap card like a GT 240, 8800GT, 9800GT (or faster). Mafia II did pretty well with a GT240 and HD4890 to be perfectly honest. Framerates were right around 30 or so on average, but with PhysX disabled it was 60+. Once I stepped into a GTX 470 it was 60+ with PhysX (just on the 470).
I think a GT240, 8800GT, 9800GT as a "minimum" would technically "work", but you will be holding your 6870 back by the weaker PhysX card. If you're okay with a lower than what you SHOULD have framerate, then by all means, go for a cheaper card.
I still say though, that its a complete waste of money personally. I've played PhysX titles with PhysX on and off enough to know, that if you're into the game...you're not going to miss those effects anyway.
okay, thanks for the advice really apreciate it
thumb.gif

I won't buy a physx card if the frame rate drops, not worth it
tongue.gif

EDIT

can't rep you becouse you're a mod, so +rep if i could ;P

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

okay, thanks for the advice really apreciate it
thumb.gif

I won't buy a physx card if the frame rate drops, not worth it
tongue.gif
That's how it was with a GT 240 as PhysX for an HD4890, playing Mafia II.

Considering nobody has really played Borderlands 2 yet, its too early to tell how bad the PhysX performance hit is going to be. I'm going to attempt to run it off my CPU if I can get away with it. I can't personally justify another GPU just for one game, but that's my way of thinking.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Considering nobody has really played Borderlands 2 yet, its too early to tell how bad the PhysX performance hit is going to be. I'm going to attempt to run it off my CPU if I can get away with it. I can't personally justify another GPU just for one game, but that's my way of thinking.
yeah I agree with you it wouldnt be worth more than 20 bucks

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

yeah I agree with you it wouldnt be worth more than 20 bucks
And with $20, you're not going to find a PhysX card that's strong enough to make it worthwhile.
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.