Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see in my sig rig, I am running CF 4850s.
An XFX and a Sapphire.
The XFX can overclock to 670-1075, while the Sapphire can do 700-1015.
This is the Sapphire that I have and as you can see the memory does not have ramsinks on them.
So I am wondering if this is holding me back?
I even tried the pencil mod on it to no avail.
Temperatures never go beyond 65°C.
Would getting an aftermarket cooler, like the musashi, help me go beyond the RAM wall of the Sapphire?
Thanks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
what are all your temps

i'd overclock until you get 80c full load, then get an aftermarket cooler

a review showed the 4850 getting 50c full load overclocked with the musashi, btw

theres low profile heatsinks out there, and even a little heat sink will make a huge difference, i'm not sure how hot the ram runs on the 4850 though

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh81
View Post

what are all your temps

i'd overclock until you get 80c full load

The shader, memory and core temperatures never exceed 65°C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkofdooM
View Post

I did a few months ago and never looked back. mid 50's load is awesome

But did it help with overclocking?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
On my old 4870 I upgraded the cooling to a musashi and it didn't help my overclock at all. But the temps were so much lower and the cooler is inaudible.

• Rep+
Reactions: daffy.duck

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elementskater706
View Post

On my old 4870 I upgraded the cooling to a musashi and it didn't help my overclock at all. But the temps were so much lower and the cooler is inaudible.

This I can agree with. The mushashi I put on my 4770 and it rocked! My temps dropped from 94C to 55C with clocks at 915/1000 <.<

• Rep+
Reactions: daffy.duck

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
^

I got those same temps. I replaced the stock fans with 58 CFM fans and it only got better....47c full load with a 4890 at stock clocks (vrms at 70c)

I've posted this pic a few times but its just so amazing that this slim heatsink performs so well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkofdooM
View Post

My card is just a piss poor overclocker, from the first couple of batches I guess... 690 core 1155 mem is about all I can manage with ATi's overdrive

Guess you didn't see what my card can do XD

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I know what you mean about crappy overclockers. The two non-reference sapphires I have in my sig do not overclock one bit. I can't even get them stable at 770 (stock is 750).

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elementskater706
View Post

I know what you mean about crappy overclockers. The two non-reference sapphires I have in my sig do not overclock one bit. I can't even get them stable at 770 (stock is 750).

And I though mine was bad.
Too bad CF downclocks the memory in my case

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by daffy.duck
View Post

Guess you didn't see what my card can do XD

Sorry hehe, I glanced at them and kept going

If none of your temps are over 65C, I don't know if an aftermarket cooler would really help you. I was seeing 85-91C at 100% load with my reference cooler, dropped to 55-56C load now, that alone was enough to make me happy to have my accelero

I just got my card to pass the over drive test at 700 and 1165, kind of excited heh. But 700 is the limit of the overdrive built in test... ati tool time maybe

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just can't seem to understand that even with a pencil mod why the clocks wont budge.
First I tried a 2B and no luck, then I said screw it and pulled out the 6B and still no luck

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh81
View Post

It's all luck unfortunately. My 4870 hit 825 with ease, didn't try any higher.

My old one that I killed by accident hit 840 on the core.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
My 4770 just stopped working all together D:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i was able to push my single 4870 to 850/1035 benchable. now with the xfire i can only hit 820/1020 on both cores.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts