Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


I am looking for a 500-600€ DSLR and now the Pentax K-x is on my mind. It has won TIPA award and bunch of reviews.
Good size (small), nice sensor, fast burst (4,7fps) and much good
things on a entry-level DSLR.

So.. Should I buy it? There are also Canon EOS 500D
which is in the same price range. All K-x users let me
know how the camera has been working!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by WIGILOCO
View Post



I am looking for a 500-600€ DSLR and now the Pentax K-x is on my mind. It has won TIPA award and bunch of reviews.
Good size (small), nice sensor, fast burst (4,7fps) and much good
things on a entry-level DSLR.

So.. Should I buy it? There are also Canon EOS 500D
which is in the same price range. All K-x users let me
know how the camera has been working!


Although I haven't actually used the K-x I own a K100d Super which is still going strong
Pentax lenses are cheaper (and better quality for the price) and it has in body image stabilization. So yeah go for it


I recommend going here for info and example photos, its a really good site
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
IMO, the lack of an AF point overlay is enough reason not to get it. I'd go for the 500D.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,348 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

IMO, the lack of an AF point overlay is enough reason not to get it. I'd go for the 500D.

I found that very weird as well, but otherwise the K-x is solid, one of Pentax's best noise performers yet
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
I found that very weird as well, but otherwise the K-x is solid, one of Pentax's best noise performers yet
It being the best in noise performance is probably what led Pentax to remove the AF point overlay. Since it could easily effect the sales of the K-7.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
I own the white version of the k-x just because it was cheaper. Its my first dslr so I'm still learning everything. and for the price and features it offers i found it to be the best in my price range (around 500). It does pretty good at high ISO. also another advantage of pentax is that pretty much all of the older lens will fit it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm suffering to get this beauty but yeah the lack of AF points is really big minus. And some users have had some "mirror slap" issue and blurry shots on 1/60 to 1/125 shutter. Maybe the 500D would be more "solid" option. I could also get the 550D, but I think it isn't so good as 500D because more pixels in the same sensor. Noise noise noise..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,343 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by WIGILOCO
View Post

I'm suffering to get this beauty but yeah the lack of AF points is really big minus. And some users have had some "mirror slap" issue and blurry shots on 1/60 to 1/125 shutter. Maybe the 500D would be more "solid" option. I could also get the 550D, but I think it isn't so good as 500D because more pixels in the same sensor. Noise noise noise..

550d is a completely new sensor compared to the 500d.

sony a500/a550 has similar burst speeds as the k-x (5 with AF/metering 7 without). should be around the same price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
The K-x is a great little entry level DSLR. A friend of mine got one, and he enjoys it. Overall good quality, it has a ridiculous amount of in-camera features for its price (almost overwhelmingly alot). Like others have pointed out, the lack of AF points is peculiar. I do know that Pentax lenses are fantastic quality and generally very cheap (both because Pentax is an underdog compared to Nikon and Canon, and because the image stabilization is built into their cameras so you aren't paying for that in the lense)

I'd say go with it, Pentax lenses are universal so you have access to every lens in their history, which means you can get fantastic lens for great prices. Since I assume you're just starting to get into photography, learning the basics to proper camera settings and shot composition is what is important, not your hardware. After you outgrow the Pentax, upgrade to one of the mid-level Canon or Nikon DSLR's.

Just my 2 cents!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
As a Pentax user, I'd recommend you go for it. They are good cameras (even K20D & K7 are great bodies).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,343 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Fr0st
View Post

The K-x is a great little entry level DSLR. A friend of mine got one, and he enjoys it. Overall good quality, it has a ridiculous amount of in-camera features for its price (almost overwhelmingly alot). Like others have pointed out, the lack of AF points is peculiar. I do know that Pentax lenses are fantastic quality and generally very cheap (both because Pentax is an underdog compared to Nikon and Canon, and because the image stabilization is built into their cameras so you aren't paying for that in the lense)

I'd say go with it, Pentax lenses are universal so you have access to every lens in their history, which means you can get fantastic lens for great prices. Since I assume you're just starting to get into photography, learning the basics to proper camera settings and shot composition is what is important, not your hardware. After you outgrow the Pentax, upgrade to one of the mid-level Canon or Nikon DSLR's.

Just my 2 cents!

there is no reason to move away from pentax to canon or nikon mid-level SLR when pentax has a great k7. now if you need a fullframe that would be a different story.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top