Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone.

I'm in the process of getting myself an older gaming laptop. The laptop is a Dell XPS M1730. I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth what I'm paying for it, which is about $175. I haven't bought it yet though.

Here's a list of specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
- 2GB DDR2 RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT SLI + Ageia PhysX
- 500GB HDD

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRINMYLAZERMAN View Post

Hello, everyone.

I'm in the process of getting myself an older gaming laptop. The laptop is a Dell XPS M1730. I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth what I'm paying for it, which is about $175. I haven't bought it yet though.

Here's a list of specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
- 2GB DDR2 RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT SLI + Ageia PhysX
- 500GB HDD
What will you use the laptop for?

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryou-kun View Post

What will you use the laptop for?
This.

@ OP, the M1730 is an extremely dated laptop. 8700M SLI performs similarly to today's integrated graphics. As with most old gaming laptops, expect to be plugged in most of the time as battery life. The T8300 is also about as fast as an Ivy Bridge-based Celeron. Depending on what you want to use it for, 2GB DDR2 wouldn't be sufficient in most occasions, and upgrading that would run you extra. You're better off with a low end modern laptop.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
At that price it's a good deal. Personally I'd look for an A8 APU or an Intel i3 with HD4000 but I can't find anything like that at the $175 price range.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

At that price it's a good deal. Personally I'd look for an A8 APU or an Intel i3 with HD4000 but I can't find anything like that at the $175 price range.
Maybe. To me, it is pointless to buy. Even the APU and current IGP from Intel is better than NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT SLI, it really depend on what he'll be using the laptop for.

If he plan to use it for gaming, well, he is better off spending extra hundred or two hundred dollar for an Outlet Lenovo laptop with A8 or A10.
If he plan to use it as a regular laptop and plug in 24/7, then it is sort of a good laptop because my gripe is that 2gb ram. In my opinion, he is better off with cheap refurbish or used laptop. Shoot, he can even buy laptop from OCN that has better performance and cheaper.

Basically, there is no point shelling out a hundred dollar for an old laptop, that is slow, require to upgrade the DDR2 ram which it is expensive, poor battery life due to the SLI and has poor performance compare to modern laptops.

However, it is up to him to decide if he wants to buy it or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts