Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current PSU is doing great other than heat. I have no complaints otherwise; stable, quiet, long cables, ... no reason to upgrade except heat.

It's only 72% efficient. Would upgrading to something in the 88-92% range noticeably put out less heat? Summer time is killer in a small room and a beefy (ish) computer, so while the energy savings month to month would be nice I'm mainly interested in heat output.

I know it'll still heat up a room nicely given the GPU and the CPU, but both those are waiting until the new round of GPUs and the next socket that gets released. Baby steps
biggrin.gif

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it kinda on impulse since it was the only one in stock at the local PC store when my old one died, but 4 years later ... so far so good.

Guess I'll hang onto it and spend it on lowing my AC.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
I would keep my eyes open for a bargain 80+ silver or better PSU. There's certainly no rush to change it, just wait for a newegg shocker price on something good. It's a 4 year old Thelmaltake, so I'd want to be replacing it if it's under high load a lot of the time. But you won't get a vast drop in heat output, possibly enough to have saved you five bucks on aircon by the end of summer, plus a buck or 2 in power costs. Certainly nothing worth rushing out to pay full price for, so wait for a sale. 4th of July isn't that far away, I'm pretty sure the Egg has a sale around then.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Stay with what you have m8, I'm using a DiabloTek, and scared that it will blow up and torch my Rig
biggrin.gif
Now I need a upgrade, you are fine.

• Rep+
Reactions: Shadow_Foxx
1 - 6 of 6 Posts