Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i thought i made my mind up i was going to get a AMDx2 3800 then i came upon a site talking about Oc'ing Opterons and how they are better than the other AMD duel cores... i would like to here some opiniond about this.

Also now im just thinking about going with a singlecore system to cut back on the money... just buy a opteron 148 or a Amd3000...

plz post ideas about this... recommend some mobo's
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
the yare about equal, it just ends up on how much you want to spend, dual core cpu x2 3800+ s probably the better bang for the buck, but if you do go for an opty, choose the 148
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,630 Posts
Well, if your cores were dueling, then we may have a problem on our hands, as they wouldnt be working together very well....but, i would go for the 4400+ X2 or the opty 170
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i heard u could overlclock that lil opt 148 from a 1.8ghz -2.8 safely. I want to know if i plan to do this... how far do u think i could get with Air intstead of water...

thanks again
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,844 Posts
dont get an opterton its just a fad there more expensive then thier counterparts IE 3700+ vs 148 and the dual cores are really more expensive. stay with the A64 or the X2
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,072 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GhostSlash

i heard u could overlclock that lil opt 148 from a 1.8ghz -2.8 safely. I want to know if i plan to do this... how far do u think i could get with Air intstead of water...

thanks again

It depends on the CPU really and the stepping but an Opteron 144/166 or 148 should get to between 2.6-3.0Ghz even on air cooling. Probably very little difference with high end air cooling and water as these CPUs run pretty cool.

The DFI nF4 mobos are good if you're really into your overclocking
The Asus nF4 boards are also very good overclockers, but less options and slightly easier to use.
Same really for the MSI k8n Neo4 boards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ThaWaxShop

dont get an opterton its just a fad

you still bitter you dont own one? Always bashing opterons, i sense jealousy.
The opterons are the better overclocking chips, it's been proven over and over again, we dont need to compare it anymore.
Sure these days the opterons will be a little more money, that's because everyone wants to buy them, and the fact that they are "server" chips.
The 4400 x2, you can expect 2.6-2.8 on air. 2.8 would be hard. With the opterons, you have a better chance of 2.8. Noone can argue this..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,844 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tytlyf

you still bitter you dont own one? Always bashing opterons, i sense jealousy.
The opterons are the better overclocking chips, it's been proven over and over again, we dont need to compare it anymore.
Sure these days the opterons will be a little more money, that's because everyone wants to buy them, and the fact that they are "server" chips.
The 4400 x2, you can expect 2.6-2.8 on air. 2.8 would be hard. With the opterons, you have a better chance of 2.8. Noone can argue this..

bitter hardly. Jelous haha no. i had the option to get one but i didnt jump on the bandwagon its not proven that thier better not at all show me written proof and not just 20 ppl that say its awesome. there are a couple ppl on this site dissatified with thier opterons there just as hit and miss as any other chip. Your leading these ppl in the wrong direction giving them false hope for a steller overclock when its plain just NOT GUARANTEED. the new steppings on the 3700+ have been doing real good but im not gonna say your guaranteed anything nor should you take your head outta your butt and grow up GET PROOF before you say this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
I'd go with a dual core 4400. It comes more down to what your preference is; but I trust the dual cores more than opterons.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,395 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GhostSlash

Also now im just thinking about going with a singlecore system to cut back on the money... just buy a opteron 148 or a Amd3000...

While everyone else is bickering about Opterons and such, I'll focus on this point...

What are your plans for the machine? E.g., if you're building a gaming rig, the dual core won't usually buy you very much because games are all still single threaded. Spending less money now to buy hardware that today's software will actually exploit is my usual approach, why pay a premium for hardware that will go largely underutilized?

Unless you have multithreaded apps, I don't see the point just yet. Except maybe to pay the premium now to futureproof yourself, since you might have those apps in a year or so.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: xie67

·
Banned
Joined
·
151 Posts
Here are the facts: dual core CPUs will start being utilized over the next year or two by nearly all games. Having two cores that are actually being used will dramatically improve your performace. Currently, there are no games that actually use both cores, so you will actually see very little performance increase with a dual core. If you plan on keeping this rig for at least a year and a half to two years, it may be worth it to go with a dual core, otherwise, go with a single core (a 3700+ San Diego is a fantastic single core CPU for OCing).

If you do go with a dual core, I would DEFINATELY go with an Opteron, as they are already showing themselves to be the superior overclockers. Opterons have much higher multiplyers unlocked and lower voltages, which mean lower temperatures at higher speeds. As far as dual cores go, an Opty is definately the way to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,732 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zardokk

Opterons have much higher multiplyers unlocked

Who told you that?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
151 Posts
Maybe I got mixed up on that one...I thought I saw someone with an Opty at a 14x multiplyer. It could've been a different CPU or a result of an IHS removal and mod, but I thought it was just a stock Opty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zardokk

Here are the facts: dual core CPUs will start being utilized over the next year or two by nearly all games. Having two cores that are actually being used will dramatically improve your performace. Currently, there are no games that actually use both cores, so you will actually see very little performance increase with a dual core. If you plan on keeping this rig for at least a year and a half to two years, it may be worth it to go with a dual core, otherwise, go with a single core (a 3700+ San Diego is a fantastic single core CPU for OCing).

If you do go with a dual core, I would DEFINATELY go with an Opteron, as they are already showing themselves to be the superior overclockers. Opterons have much higher multiplyers unlocked and lower voltages, which mean lower temperatures at higher speeds. As far as dual cores go, an Opty is definately the way to go.

Yeah, that's totally wrong, they are only unlocked downwards. Price for price, they'll have lower multi's and stock core speeds than x2s, and even though they are rated for lower voltages, they run at 110W whereas as the manchester cores run at 89W (the power of some single core mobile processors
), which is the reason amd processors dissappate heat so much more effectively then pentium duallys, and overclock better...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,732 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zardokk

Maybe I got mixed up on that one...I thought I saw someone with an Opty at a 14x multiplyer. It could've been a different CPU or a result of an IHS removal, but I thought it was just a stock Opty.

Removing the IHS only helps lower temps. Nope, no higher multipliers on Opterons and no mods to unlock.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4 Posts
I have to agree with Zardokk get the single core 3700+ san diego. Now I have to back this up. with duals cores yes they might seem to be the LATEST fad but think about a year or 2 from now, quad cores anyone? so I mean you could go out and get dual core and wait a year or whater for technology to take full advantage of it by that time quad core might be in development. personally I got a single core cause I know it could hold me over for about 2 to 3 years. Im not looking to change anyones opinions but I would seriously wait for quad core to come out.

just chose which ever one meets you needs also go here to give you some idea's,

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,844 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zardokk

Ok, ok. I was wrong about the multis, but yeah...they do run cooler. So I was somewhat right.

they dont run cooler either his comparison was the 110w (p4) against the 89watt manchester (x2 NOT opteron) the opterons are denmark cores.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,871 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by VulcanDragon

While everyone else is bickering about Opterons and such, I'll focus on this point...

What are your plans for the machine? E.g., if you're building a gaming rig, the dual core won't usually buy you very much because games are all still single threaded. Spending less money now to buy hardware that today's software will actually exploit is my usual approach, why pay a premium for hardware that will go largely underutilized?

Unless you have multithreaded apps, I don't see the point just yet. Except maybe to pay the premium now to futureproof yourself, since you might have those apps in a year or so.

Now that's what i call a measured approach to the situation. I m in total agreement with you.

Gamming that utilises dual core CPU's is sometime off and would not hold my breath waiting.
As mentioned buy your hardware for now to suit your requirement. Cut back on the CPU purchase and purchase a better GPU and RAM, which will yield a better performance for gamming. If you need dual core purchase one at a later date (surely for a lower price then now).

As for the CPU choice a 3700+ Sandiego core would be the best choice as it has the L2 cache of 1Mb or step down to a Venice core in the 3200+ to 3500+ but it only utilises a L2 cache of 512Mb. Both of these will give you a very good base to form a gamming rig upon.

cheers
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top