Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to overclock my cpu, but I'm also very tight on cash. And if I get a mobo, I'd need a new case and PSU as well. So that being said, can I get a decent setup going for around $200? And I'd like the mobo to also be compatible with quad's, if possible, but definitely compatible with c2d's. And it has to be compatible with my current P4. CPU-Z info about my CPU is in my sig.

What *might* happen is if I get this stuff now, I can get a quad or dual core in a month or two, and then in another 2 months a good gpu and monitor. Everything else I have is fine.

Thoughts/suggestions?

P.S. don't bash the dell, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it except that it can't OC.

·
Power Squid
9,613 Posts
If you put $100 of your budget to the motherboard alone, you could easily pick up an Asus P5N-E SLi. Its Core 2 Duo compatible, a good clocker, SLi x8 capable and supports quad cores, and even the upcoming Penryn CPU's. Then its up to you to simply find the best PSU and a cheapish case with the remainding $100. I hope you've got already got an operateing system to put on it as you won't be able to transfer the one that's already on your DELL.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check out that Asus. But it will be compatible with my P4 as well, right? I'm not sure if I made that part clear. And yes, I have an OS available (Vista Ultimate hopefully coming soon from club live).

·
Power Squid
9,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris4ka View Post
Thanks, I'll check out that Asus. But it will be compatible with my P4 as well, right?
Of course, any Core 2 Duo compatoble motherboard supports LGA775 PEntium and Celeron CPU's.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by t4ct1c47 View Post
Of course, any Core 2 Duo compatoble motherboard supports LGA775 PEntium and Celeron CPU's.

I was wondering because it says it supports 1333/1066MHz FSB here but my P4 is 800.

·
Power Squid
9,613 Posts
Quote:

I was wondering because it says it supports 1333/1066MHz FSB here but my P4 is 800.
Don't worry about that, they just neglected to mention 533FSB and 800FSB CPU's. The E2140 and E2160 are both 800FSB yet they work in the P5N-E SLi.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, I might just end up getting that board, seems like a lot of people here have it.

Then what should I get for PSU/case? Side window is a must. Or do I even need a PSU for now? I don't know if mine is standard or not.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Quote:

I want to overclock my cpu, but I'm also very tight on cash. And if I get a mobo, I'd need a new case and PSU as well. So that being said, can I get a decent setup going for around $200? And I'd like the mobo to also be compatible with quad's, if possible, but definitely compatible with c2d's. And it has to be compatible with my current P4. CPU-Z info about my CPU is in my sig.

What *might* happen is if I get this stuff now, I can get a quad or dual core in a month or two, and then in another 2 months a good gpu and monitor. Everything else I have is fine.

Thoughts/suggestions?

P.S. don't bash the dell, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it except that it can't OC.
just read my sig i have it f/s pm me

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So can anyone put together a nice build for me with that motherboard (or a better one for the value) and a PSU and case? $200 shipped and taxed to CA, please? I would but I don't know much about good PSU's.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t4ct1c47 View Post
and even the upcoming Penryn CPU's.
Is this true?
Can you please link me to a reference? Thanks =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.