Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My system is running of a corsair 550vx unit ,everything is OC'ed and I am getting some system lockups in games lately especially if I ad some mhz to the GPU. Do I need a larger PSU?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Your running a OC'd GTX480 i think you pushing your luck a bit with a 500W PSU. Upgrading your PSU would be a good option. Though the lock-ups are probably more due to an unstable overclock on the GPU!! Turn up your gpu fans to 100% to see if that helps or reduce your gpu clock.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
No.
Please for the love of god dont listen to the above post.
Its quite possible that your just not increasing the voltage enough whilst OCing.
Your PSU should be absolutely fine for your sigrig.

-E- i got ninja'd. Im referring to the first reply.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If you do not encounter lockups when your GPU isn´t overclocked, I'd just leave GPU @ stock for now and get a 750w+ PSU when upgrading in the future. If you really want to overclock your GPU and more voltage does not help you can go ahead and get a new PSU, but make sure to make some headroom for future upgrades (SLI etc.).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My GPU is getting enough voltge. It's set to 1100mV with MSI afterburner.I can't get it stable at 840 even with 1138 ,the game simply freezes and I have to restart, but runs stable at 820mhz with 1050.

·
Senior Overclocker
5,064 Posts
His PSU is fine. Maybe he's getting lockups because the card gets unstable. 830mhz core is pretty high for a GTX480.

·
Premium Member
20,174 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
your power supply is plenty for your rig. You probably hit a overclock wall where you cant get stable within safe voltages. Just turn down the overclock some and you should be ok

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Definitely not the PSU, very likely an unstable overclock.

Test at stock for a day or two and see how you get on.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdr09
View Post

Use this to get an estimate of how much your computer needs . . .

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Like others mentioned, you should be fine with what you have and just adjust your GPU settings.

The PSU calculator recommends 545W for my system WITHOUT OC'ed GPU,does not have that option.
I asked the same question on another forum and someone had a multimeter and an almost identical setup. Using the same clocks as me GPU and CPU the total system power draw was 579W I think.
PSU might be okay because it's running very cool,no heat coming out of it what so ever .

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Thats 579 from the wall. Your PSU isnt 100% efficient.
Your PSu is absolutely fine its just an unstable OC. Try getting better cooler for your card and you might be abpe to push it a little further since 830mhz on sock cooler is pretty hot.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok then ,i will jeep this PSU. 830 mhz is plenty ,don't actually need to go higher.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You still might want to change your PSU. Nvidia recommends a minimum of 600W PSU for a stock 480.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And it's a no

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorundJ;14134274
To be on the save side, yes. It's always wise to have some space when overclocking. I think a 750w/850w will be enough.
What? 850w is for SLI GTX 480's, not one.

@Yetyhunter The problem is most likely unrelated to power. IF it is related to power, then your unit is faulty as 550w is enough for one GTX 480.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3Xus;14138401
You still might want to change your PSU. Nvidia recommends a minimum of 600W PSU for a stock 480.
It doesn't matter what Nvidia "recommends".
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09;14134787
Use this to get an estimate of how much your computer needs . . .

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Like others mentioned, you should be fine with what you have and just adjust your GPU settings.
Calculators are inaccurate.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little update on the situation:
The GPU runs now at 850 mhz stable with 1113 mV. I only changed the side panel fan from exhaust to intake. It's running 3°C cooler. Why does it make such a huge difference?
VRM is also cooler maybe?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts