Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be migrating most of my current hardware to the new system.

i7 920 Bloomfield D0 Stepping
EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (132-BL-E758-A1)

As for RAM. One of these two.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231225

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226028

The question is, will my current PSU be able to power all the new hardware?
Yes, i plan on overclocking the new CPU along with my GPU which i is already overclocked on my current system.

This is my current PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
It should be ok. It's not the best PSU, but it's one of the better budget models OCZ sells (better than the ModXStream 600W, which is trash). Next time use a slightly better brand.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sure as hell wasn't a budget model when i bought it two years ago. OCZ is definitely a good brand. I have had no issues with their products whatsoever. I use their RAM too.
I'd get their DDR3 RAM for this new system but there appears to be a compatibility issue with EVGA's X58 boards.

Anyway. So, you guys really think that i shouldn't have a problem running all the new stuff with it?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
The OCZ Z series is quite good, on par with Corsair, and that particular StealthXStream model is fairly good, but they do have some extremely poor units as well. They're one of what I call "conditionally" good PSU brands, where I have to specify a certain product line as good and the rest as to be avoided.

The only brands I can call unconditionally good at the moment are Corsair, SeaSonic, Enermax, and PC Power & Cooling... And PC P&C is on the verge of falling off that list since they haven't updated their product line in over three years.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by feltadox1337
View Post

You'll be fine. And I agree with Phaedrus2129, OCZ isn't one of the best PSU brands out there. They're decent, but not the best. And next time, shell out some more $ and get a better brand.

It wasn't exactly cheap when i purchased it two years ago. It was recommended to me by numerous people then.

The reason why i asked is because some guy was trying to convince me that it wouldn't even be able to run my current GPU, let alone the new i7 CPU.
Which doesn't make sense to me since i have everything overclocked in my current system and running it without any hiccups at all. I just like to be safe, that's all.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwwIX View Post
It wasn't exactly cheap when i purchased it two years ago. It was recommended to me by numerous people then.

The reason why i asked is because some guy was trying to convince me that it wouldn't even be able to run my current GPU, let alone the new i7 CPU.
Which doesn't make sense to me since i have everything overclocked in my current system and running it without any hiccups at all. I just like to be safe, that's all.
What is at TechSupportForum?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by feltadox1337 View Post
to answer your "question" yes you'll be fine. XD
Why the quotations marks then?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Yeah, that's a myth that stemmed from a PC P&C "Power Supply Myths" page that started more myths than it debunked. It's completely false, but it's been spread all over the internet. Even a lot of intelligent people believe it, since they don't understand power supplies. PSUs are more an EE subject than a computer subject. Single rail being better than multi sounds "truthy"; so that's what people believe.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
It's a pretty good unit, but this is better and cheaper after MIR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-025-_-Product

I just read a few reviews. They all seem to be praising it. Some even say that it surpasses Corsair's TX series. It's partially modular from what i understand.
That is definitely a plus.

So, you are sure that i shouldn't have an issue running an overclocked CPU and multiple cards with it? I Am tempted to purchase it at this price.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeppelin 707
View Post

I have the same PSU man, and it's works wonderful. You will have no problems enjoy, also check out this PSU calculator http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

Which PSU are you referring to?

By the way, how reliable is that calculator?
According to it, i would need a 821W PSU to run two 5870's, a i7 CPU, 6gigs of DDR3 Ram, one HD and a DVD-RW. That's rather steep for only two cards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts