Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell XPS Gen II laptop and I am thinking about a new drive. My current drive is a 7200RPM 60GB HDD. It feels like it is dying. It's pretty slow and very noisy. I can hear it a lot when writing to it.

Are there decent SSD's available for a decent price? If I could get at least 60GB I would be OK. I was looking at this one from OCZ. Would this be a good choice?

·
HEC Club
13,595 Posts
But the amount of battery that the SSD uses is simply mind boggling.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My laptop is over 4 years old. I really don't need a lot of space. I don't store anything on here.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Go for the SSD if you don't use your laptop to store a bunch of stuff. Much faster than a hard drive, much more durable, silent, and your battery life will improve a bit.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

But the amount of battery that the SSD uses is simply mind boggling.

In a good way right? You mean less?

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
The power draw isn't THAT big a difference. Most likely less than 5% of overall laptop consumption, even less for desktop replacement type laptops.

Anyway, if you have the money, go for it. It will be fun to play with, you'll learn how best to tweak an SSD, and show off to all your friends. Whats not to like?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzt5
View Post

In a good way right? You mean less?

im sure he does mean in a good way, SSD's don't have motors.. so they consume less power.

to the OP, i would go with a vertex SSD (the one with cache and without the stuttering)

sure its more expensive, but i think of it like this.. that SSD doesn't have to be scrapped with your lappy when it gets older.. toss it in your next laptop too.. (assuming the ssd is reliable enough to last you till your next lappy) and i believe it is reliable enough.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am seeing a few people say that sometimes a slow system can bottleneck a SSD. My laptop only has a single core Pentium M at 2.0Ghz and 2GB of DDR2 533 memory. Would this be a problem? I also see that there are some tweaks required to control the stuttering that can occur.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
good link

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a toshiba m50 laptop. celeron m 1.5 ghz. 2 gb ram. I want to upgrade to 64gb ssd. I was wondering if thats gonna improve my laptop performance like loading programs,booting.

Cheers.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post
I am seeing a few people say that sometimes a slow system can bottleneck a SSD. My laptop only has a single core Pentium M at 2.0Ghz and 2GB of DDR2 533 memory. Would this be a problem? I also see that there are some tweaks required to control the stuttering that can occur.
Does your laptop even have sata connections? that **** is old

·
HEC Club
13,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by devsk
View Post

donot get anything other intel m series or ocz vertex series. Everything else will make you cry after some time because of the stutter. Do a tonne of research into stuttering and erase cycles before leaping to get SSD.

You should probably rephrase that. Don't even get the OCZ Vertex series too as they use the same MLC JMicron controller. The one from OCZ that you DO want will be the Vertex 2 series which is not out yet. That is the one that Anand reviewed and helped OCZ perfect. Right now the only good SSD is the Intel one.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob View Post
You should probably rephrase that. Don't even get the OCZ Vertex series too as they use the same MLC JMicron controller. The one from OCZ that you DO want will be the Vertex 2 series which is not out yet. That is the one that Anand reviewed and helped OCZ perfect. Right now the only good SSD is the Intel one.
NO Sir! You are wrong about that. There is only one Vertex at this time. And that's the one I have and that's the one Anand reviewed as well. And it doesn't use the JMicron controller. It uses Indilinx controller. And it has 64MB cache and is stutter free.

If you are calling Summit series as Vertex 2, then that drive uses Samsung controller and is supposedly better than Vertex in IOPS.

·
HEC Club
13,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by devsk
View Post

NO Sir! You are wrong about that. There is only one Vertex at this time. And that's the one I have and that's the one Anand reviewed as well. And it doesn't use the JMicron controller. It uses Indilinx controller. And it has 64MB cache and is stutter free.

If you are calling Summit series as Vertex 2, then that drive uses Samsung controller and is supposedly better than Vertex in IOPS.

My apologies! You are completely right! I was thinking of the OCZ solid. My apologies!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts