Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just sold an old CPU (Still waiting for the idiot to pay me) and GPU so now I have £60-£70 to spend on my sig rig.

Ive been looking at the Corsair H50 and I can get one for £60 with free shipping from NovaTech (link below)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...CWCH50-1.html#

Do you think this would be worth it? If not what else can I get for my sig rig in the same price range?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well having an H50 I can say it is a great cooler. It competes with some of the best air coolers.. and does compete pretty well with some water blocks as well. It is a great solution for a low maintenance watercooling alternative.

My decision in getting this was influenced by the horror stories that I have heard with water loops leaking and the overall time needed to maintain them (even though not a ton) I just like knowing that nothing is going to leak.

For the price it's a great cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
you should get a nice loop with a 240 rad and a swiftech CPU block and dominate on the H50

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be an improvement on my Xiggy DK?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

you should get a nice loop with a 240 rad and a swiftech CPU block and dominate on the H50

I would do but I cant afford it and dont really have the time to set it all up and maintain it.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Yes, but not much.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah its a good cooler but if you are really wanting to overclock like me it is not for you but yes quite good for the price

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the I7 920. first i tried the Cool Master V-8 and was getting pretty high temps on stock settings. With the H50 with a Ambient temp of about 23C i got CPU temps of 30 at idle and under 48C with Prime95 load testing. i got mine set up with Push/Pull it being intake.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
I would recommend it. Get a good extra fan also for push/pull config.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonyDSLR
View Post

Yes a full Loop would be better but if you want to play and not work get a H50 i have both on Full Loop on Q9550 and the H50 on a Phenom II 955

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/...7df5394a_o.jpg

Off topic, but where did you get your widgets?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by humbleguy
View Post

A good aircooler will beat the pants off of the H50, eg Mehagalems, Venomous X.

lol show me some
of "the pants being beaten off it". don't think you can

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I don't think so mate.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The performance is fairly similar. The beauty of the H50 is that is is much quieter than the air coolers. That being said, you can't get as much of a performance boost out of the H50 as cranking the fan on your air cooling CPU to 3k RPM

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,542 Posts
Quote:

View Post

^ fail.

a h50 is a very good choice if your wanting to overclock a cpu a bit higher then on a vacuum cleaner sounding air cooler with some san ace's or slipstreams.. that said, the h50 proves many pro's over a simple aircooler.

no1. space, you ll be able to run high setoff ram, no need to crap your fans onto something with cableties

no2. noise factor, you dont need high rpm or static high pressured fans. a simple pair of yate loons will do the job fine.

no3. cost, the h50 can be had for the same price then an air cooler which you most likely will have to purchase expensive fans for.

and so on.

those are just my personal thoughts on this cooler, and why i would grab it over any aircooler out there

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Would it be an improvement on my Xiggy DK?
Just finished swapping out a Dark Knight Push pull set-up with the H50 Hydo.

Temperature drop = 2c idle (41-> 39)
Temperature drop = 8c IBT (20 Passes 3.9ghz 75-> 67c)

H50 Set-up as push pull exhaust with CM R4 90CFM Fans

Used OCZ Freeze to install!

I tried out a Mehagalems Mega shadow also. I had to remove my northbridge cooler to make it fit. I saw no difference in idle temps over the dark knight but I did see a IBT 3.9Ghz improvement with a max temp of 70C. I had the CM R4 fans on the mega shadow.

I will use the H50 as it cools better (3C) then the Megashadow and I was able to use my Northbridge cooler.

I am going to use the megashadow on a build later in the year though!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts