Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been musing with the idea of going mATX recently for mobility's sake, and I wanted to see your take on it.

Looking at my sigrig, I know I have to swap out the motherboard and possibly the CPU Cooler, and probably should lower the overclocks, but can I still keep my GTX 260? Also, is it viable to keep my soundcard in there as well?

Pros and cons would be greatly appreciated, as well as specific feedback for my system as an mATX setup and any CPU Coolers/Motherboards/Case/Other you would recc me switch to.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you stick with 1 video card, I'd say you see no performance difference between atx and matx at all. So if you want to increase mobility (smaller case) i'd go with a matx board and a smaller case.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK
View Post

Actually, some mATX motherboards do have two PCI-e 2.0blablabla slots.

keyword there, some as in, maybe 1 or 2, as in only DFI boards.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
So you can have 2 video cards on a mATX board if you get the right ones. Of course, this could prove problematic if you want to use the PCI cards as well.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, thanks so far, but keep in mind I want to keep it a single card solution

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
A single GPU? Then you'll have no problem with your average mATX board. And it keeps at least one PCI slot and PCI-e x1 slot open (usually).

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK
View Post

A single GPU? Then you'll have no problem with your average mATX board.

Will a GTX 260 be fine in a lanbox though?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I would expect it would depend on the case. If the card is to big to fit in the case, well you have a problem there. If not, you should be good. The hardware in a mATX board shouldn't be different then a normal ATX board, just smaller board size overall.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
An eVGA GTX260 has a length of 10.5 inches, so you I'd be looking for a lanbox with bit more clearance than 10.5 inch.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicki
View Post

check silver stones website they have some really cool cases that are a great price.

Not really, unless you want to do some serious modding most of the silverstone matx lan boxes have terrible airflow

Quote:

Originally Posted by decimate
View Post

Check out DA BOX. Seems like a really nice lanbox. It can fit CF 5870's and a MUGEN 2. Seems like epic win.

This actually looks like a very nice case, the only thing its really missing is some nice intakes. DA BOX really reminds me of a lian li v351 with the psu moved over and a window cut. Honestly I like my v350, I cut 2 120mm holes in the front for intakes and it keeps my cpu pretty cold.

This here is a really cool mod someone did to a v350 to move over the psu and install a TRUE.

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling...ml#post7498349

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
If I were in your shoes...

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L Motherboard
Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS Case L16.93" x W11.81" x H9.06"

By looking at dimensions...I think you may be able to fit most of your old hardware...you should double check though from others...
Dark Knight L2" x W4.7" x H6.2"
GTX260 L10.5" H4.376"

Only problem I see is that you have three hard drives and the case only fits two...unless you actually raid0 your two seagate 160gb...then maybe you can use the seagate 320gb as an external hard drive by buying an external enclosure for it. That's if that's how your drives are set up though lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pvp309rcp
View Post

If I were in your shoes...

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L Motherboard
Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS Case L16.93" x W11.81" x H9.06"

By looking at dimensions...I think you may be able to fit most of your old hardware...you should double check though from others...
Dark Knight L2" x W4.7" x H6.2"
GTX260 L10.5" H4.376"

Only problem I see is that you have three hard drives and the case only fits two...unless you actually raid0 your two seagate 160gb...then maybe you can use the seagate 320gb as an external hard drive by buying an external enclosure for it. That's if that's how your drives are set up though lol

Oh god no, stay away from the LANBOX if you can, it has terrible airflow, especially with all your parts in it, and you will never get a respectable heatsink in under the psu.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
found this

"I actually just built a a thermaltake lanbox system with the intel DFI motherboard suggested above, and I can confirm that a single HD4870 fits very well. It's easier if you remove the hard-drive rack and mount the hard-drive in the floppy slot, but it is doable in either case.

I originally thought that it's size and poor airflow would cause massively horrible temps, but so far I'm doing great with temps. Let me know if you have any questions about my build."

heres the link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...-gaming-system

if the 4870 fits then the 260 should fit fine. hope this helps

1 - 20 of 31 Posts