Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a billion issues with my games and OS after going from Nvidia to ATI. I've used every trick in the book to clean out my drivers before I installed the new ones, but I keep getting conflict after conflict after conflict. If there's not fix-all, should I just bite the bullet and reformat?

I normally would, but I just have so much stuff that I don't want to reinstall.

·
Registered
459 Posts
you really should have a "clone drive"/ backup drive and if you just have to reformat I would create a separate partition or buy another drive to store all media files, games, pictures, and documents just in the case of having a system failure.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Batman and Dragon Age are giving physxextension.dll errors. I uninstalled/reinstalled both programs and PhysX extensions with no avail. I'm having multiple registry conflicts even after I did a complete driver cleanup. Windows boot time increased about 3 minutes, before it was about 50 seconds (now almost 4 minutes), etc.

I think I made a boo-boo somewhere and need to repaint the canvas.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Have you tried running ccleaner or something? You could just back up your most important stuff and do a reformat. I do reformat every six months, but I keep the stuff I want to keep on a separate drive.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Korben View Post
Have you tried running ccleaner or something? You could just back up your most important stuff and do a reformat. I do reformat every six months, but I keep the stuff I want to keep on a separate drive.
Yeah. I've been using CCleaner. All of my important stuff (game saves, music, documents, etc.) are on another hard drive. I just hate reinstalling my games and os.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
back the stuff up i reformat like once a month lol

and i do believe tis the only way to truly get ride of everything
Some enthusiast you are. heh

You own a SSD? If you have an older HDD you can really fowl things up by reformatting continuously, like a light bulb you can only turn it on and off so many times. If it's new you more than likely won't see a problem because it's kind of like a camera, the shutter is good for whatever billionth cycle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post
Yeah. I've been using CCleaner. All of my important stuff (game saves, music, documents, etc.) are on another hard drive. I just hate reinstalling my games and os.
One more thing, have you tried restore points or do you even have those created? heh Most people ignore doing those, so don't feel bad.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillymansam View Post
One more thing, have you tried restore points or do you even have those created? heh Most people ignore doing those, so don't feel bad.
I deliberately turned them off.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yes, reformat. It's going to take you longer to figure out the problems than it will to just start from scratch. Don't waste more time than you really need to.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillymansam
View Post

Some enthusiast you are. heh

You own a SSD? If you have an older HDD you can really fowl things up by reformatting continuously, like a light bulb you can only turn it on and off so many times. If it's new you more than likely won't see a problem because it's kind of like a camera, the shutter is good for whatever billionth cycle.

no i have to new pinpoints

and i guess i cant say i do it every month but i do it regularly about 4-5 times a year
fresh starts are always the best

1 - 14 of 14 Posts