Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was thinking that 4ghz wasn't enough so I'm now stress testing at 4.4ghz. I can get prime95 to run on blend for 1 minute or so, but then I get a 0x00000003b bsod. I don't know what it means. Right now I have 1.39v for my vcore, which when I had 4ghz was only 1.22. My idle is 50c and my load is 80-90c. Should I keep going, or should I go back to 4ghz? What does the 03b bsod mean? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by justinjja View Post
90c is realy getting up there,
Maby go for 4.2?

OR get a water cooling...

Um?

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Is that with HT enabled? I would disable it if you want 4.40GHz and haven't already. I would not run it that hot. Stay in the 75-80*C stress test, 65-70*C game/apps range.

If your chip is anything like mine (which it's looking to be that way) you will need around 1.32-1.34V for 4.2GHz and 1.40-1.42V for 4.4GHz, without HT. With HT, my chip needs additional vcore and QPI to stay stable at the same settings.

If you can't get the temps down, then you need to look into a better cooling solution if you want more.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by c00lkatz View Post
Is that with HT enabled? I would disable it if you want 4.40GHz and haven't already. I would not run it that hot. Stay in the 75-80*C stress test, 65-70*C game/apps range.

If your chip is anything like mine (which it's looking to be that way) you will need around 1.32-1.34V for 4.2GHz and 1.40-1.42V for 4.4GHz, without HT. With HT, my chip needs additional vcore and QPI to stay stable at the same settings.

If you can't get the temps down, then you need to look into a better cooling solution if you want more.
I don't have any ht on. I just raised the vtt to 1.39v. Is that too much? I think that I started a thread about the 03b and ocn said it was vtt, so.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I set my vtt to 1.4v and now I'm at 5min in prime where as with 1.35 I only had 2min stable. Is 1.4v for the vtt to much?

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for my triple post, but now my mouse is super laggy, but not frozen. What's that mean?

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, I'm going back to 4ghz. 4.4ghz isn't worth the heat and time IMO. I think I would have needed 1.45v vtt to get stable, and that's way out of the safety zone. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also found that the vcore (and uncore) probably needed higher voltages when using ECC memory, and the CPU (Xeon 3520) OCd to 4.0ghz. VCore required at 1.37V

And at 4.0, ECC disabled, was stable closer to 1.27V

OCing with ECC is fun!

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris View Post
Now try with HT on, since you paid extra for it...might want to use it.

Won't help unless he uses an app that specifically needs it. I keep it off unless I'm benching, as my CPU loads a full 10*C lower without it and requires more vcore AND VTT to keep it stable at the same speeds.

EDIT: OP, you keep saying VTT, but I think you mean VCORE. VTT is a completely different voltage related to your IMC and QPI linkage. It's still a necessary adjustment, but I think you're talking about vcore.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by $ilent View Post
lol so you just went from 1.22 to 1.39v and put cpu at 4.4ghz? great idea...

Yeah 1.39v is miles too much
No 1.39V vcore is not miles too much. It may take much more to get 4.4GHz stable with his chip. And if you had been reading, he did try different increments.

VID ranges to 1.375V, so you can go up to that for safe 24/7 voltage, as per Intel. Also as per Intel, the max vcore on this chip (albeit with some degradation) is 1.55V. He will not notice the degradation on his chip from 1.40V, as I doubt he plans to keep it for 10 years.

However, with the OP's temps the way they are, he needs better cooling if he wants to push past 4.2GHz. Which honestly, OP why aren't you going for a middle ground? 4.2GHz is still a good middle ground and should require much less vcore.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by c00lkatz
View Post

EDIT: OP, you keep saying VTT, but I think you mean VCORE. VTT is a completely different voltage related to your IMC and QPI linkage. It's still a necessary adjustment, but I think you're talking about vcore.

I don't mean vcore, I mean vtt. Everytime I raise the vtt I can run prime for several more minutes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
not bashin ya or anything but it seems pointless to oc that high just so u can lose ht, i dont know about u but i purchased it mostly because of ht if i was just gona turn it off and not utizize its full capabilities. i would have just got a quad i5. but if i were u i would invest in water cooling or just dial back that oc haha. imho its not worth the 200mhz to lose ht. im at 4.26 with my 920 at 1.249vcore and im i sit in the low 60s with everest stress test just to give ya an idea of what kind of temps u would see if u did go h20. good luck bro

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby3004 View Post
not bashin ya or anything but it seems pointless to oc that high just so u can lose ht, i dont know about u but i purchased it mostly because of ht if i was just gona turn it off and not utizize its full capabilities. i would have just got a quad i5. but if i were u i would invest in water cooling or just dial back that oc haha. imho its not worth the 200mhz to lose ht. im at 4.26 with my 920 at 1.249vcore and im i sit in the low 60s with everest stress test just to give ya an idea of what kind of temps u would see if u did go h20. good luck bro
Yeah, but I never had ht on in the first place

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
4.4 was easy on 5 different i7 930s I had and this i7 920. Just up the NB Voltage as well since that gets OCd quite a bit. Also you might want to try adjusting the QPI Pll and Vcore.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88EVGAFTW View Post
4.4 was easy on 5 different i7 930s I had and this i7 920. Just up the NB Voltage as well since that gets OCd quite a bit. Also you might want to try adjusting the QPI Pll and Vcore.
Hmm, I'll have to try that tommorow. I do remember changing the ioh, ich and all of that nb sb stuff's voltage down because I had my nb at 100c at load. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts