Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wanting to overclock, but i dont know exactly if i should. i am running an intel core 2 dou (2x2.8) but will not be able to purchase a new procesor for atleast 3 months.... my comp runs suprisingly cool it is 20*c (68*f) cooler than the average. i am using the stock cooler though.
Should i, or should i not? i cant make the decesion myself, please help, will provide more comp specs if asked.
case antec 300, 9 case fans

·
Not New to OCN
1,750 Posts
If you truly feel like you may end up messing up and breaking it or something, I'd say don't. I find it extremely fun though, and there are many guides around to help you if you want to go through with it. It really is exciting to see how high you can get.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well since your asking this question on overclock.net you should expect an overwhelming yes. I would say go for it. Even with the stock cooler you can do a decent overclock. Look around the site, I'm sure there are guides to overclocking a core 2 duo.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Go for it, Many of us started off in your shoes. Just read some of the guides here, or watch youtube and you'll be overclocking your pants off in no time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyansnake View Post

Go for it, Many of us started off in your shoes. Just read some of the guides here, or watch youtube and you'll be overclocking your pants off in no time.
My words exactly. If you want to stay safer for the time being, just keep away from voltage settings for now. Just play around with the nb frequency and the multiplier to see how your cpu fares and keep tabs on your temps. I'm no expert at overclocking cpu's but it's certainly fun, rewarding, and relatively safe if you dont go too wild
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
DOOOOO EEEEEET!
biggrin.gif
this is overclock.net not stockclock.net
tongue.gif

i keed but seriously go for it, you will get the bug

·
Registered
5,227 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Core 2 Extreme Processor X9100 in my laptop, and yeah it's OC'ed (to 3.45, slight OC but otherwise too hot for laptop), trust me it's worth it. Might as well squeeze what you can out of what you have, and it's been OCed like this since the time I've had it no problems. Other than cooling that is, but I fixed that.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Since you have a stock cooler, I'd say increase frequencies step by step, but don't change the voltage too much.

Wait for an aftermarket cooler before increasing volts. Also, is it the kind of Core 2 Duo with unlocked multipliers? If it is, try changing the multipliers as well as the FSB. Keep going till you become unstable or too hot, then go back a notch. And it looks like you've achieved that already, judging by the previous post you made
smile.gif

Happy OCing
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya, i will check next run through, i am currently at 340, i did some math wrong and it auto shut off (good thing it did too) it wasnt suposed to make a dent. with the default at 266 with a ghz of about 2.2, at 340 it is 2.83

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
btw this is a verry good site. i dont have verry many people that know a thing about computers in my area...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts